Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My refrigerator ice maker leaks water when then in door water

My refrigerator ice maker leaks water when then in door water dispenser is turned on. The ice maker makes ice fine by itself with no leaks. However, immediately after turning on the water dispenser there is water that leaks from the ice maker into the bin. It leaks over the side of the ice maker in this scenario. It will eventually find its way out the freezer door. I have made sure that the water pressure is good, and I just replaced the water inlet valve. It did not fix the issue.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is a well known problem since it's about the only brand of refrigerator that wires their electronic water valve the way they do. Either way, Frigidaire uses a diode pack to stop electricity from going to both water dispenser and icemaker valve at the same time. It sounds like the diode for the water dispenser works, but the diode to stop the power from going to the icemaker valve when the water dispenser is pushed is not working. There is a diode kit and the bundle if diodes is wires in series with the valve on the back of the refrigerator down by the compressor. Follow the water supply line from your house to locate the valve. Below is a link to the diode kit you'll need to cut out of the old wiring harness going to the valve and splice in so that this problem is solved.

CLICK HERE for diode kit

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks! I read that might be the issue, so thanks for confirming. I am not familiar with wiring/electrical. How long is the diode, and where does it connect to and from? I see some wires that threads under the bottom of the fridge to the compressor I think. When I look at the wiring over by the compressor, I see a wiring clip that appears to be disconnected, but I don't see where it might be connected to if it were. I didn't disconnect that when I changed the inlet valve. Are there any written instructions or diagrams that I could follow when I get this part. Do you think the disconnected wiring clip could be an issue, or is that by design?
SO the diode has nothing to do with the compressor. The diode will be covered in some form of shelding usually like black shrink wrap. If you follow the wires coming from the valve, you can't miss it. It's directly in line with the wires going to the valve.

That disconnecting wiring clip I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but if it's not connected to the wires going to the valve it isn't going to have anything to do with the issue at hand anyways.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I see what you are talking about now. Thanks. I will order this part and try to replace it when it arrives.
Awesome. You have a great rest of the weekend. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!