Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Ive got a commercial hobart fridge. Components are located

on top of fridge. Unit...
Ive got a commercial hobart fridge. Components are located on top of fridge. Unit was layed over on its side for storage for a month before I bought it. Was told functional. I think there is oil in the cap tube. Freezing up where cap tube enters evaporator. High side from compressor line is hot. Low side at compressor is not cool. Evaporator is cool only where line enters. Any suggestions? Mike
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/17/2013
Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician

Francis :

Hello Mike, You could be right that there is oil on the capillary tube because of the symptoms you are experiencing right now. But the same symptoms is also experienced if you lack gas. So to verify it, you should have a tech try to add some gas on the unit and observe if the freezing part on the evaporator coil would move further down the whole evaporator to increase cooling.

Francis :

If , adding some gas would not do any good, then there could be oil in the capillary and you would need to flush the system with nitrogen gas and do a complete charge of the system again.

Customer:

Leaning toward oil in cap tube. County jail kitchen owned unit. Swear fridge side was functioning properly before removal. Final question...is there any trick to help oil through cap tube besides flushing? Heating cap tube maybe while compressor is running? Thanks

Francis :

That would be a good idea provided that you would not heat the copper tube too much that the braze would soften or else it would burst into more problems. Heating it up would make the oil much more thinner and might pass through the capillary tube.

Francis :

Or letting it run on and off every 30 minutes might push the oil as well to the evaporator coil.

Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Francis
Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician