Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a roper RTW4340SQ0 top loading washer. It fills with

I have a roper RTW4340SQ0 top loading washer. It fills with water and stops. The lid switch tested okay- open circuit when open, closed circuit when closed. I pulled off the top and the body. I pulled the hoses and checked the pump- it was clear and spins easy enough. I pulled the motor and checked the coupler. It all looked good to me. What should I be trying other than this?
Thanks!
-Tom
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Hey Tom, your likely problem is the pressure switch is shutting the valve off but not tripping to put the machine into the wash cycle.

Below I have included a video that will show you how to test the pressure switch,

Click here to view the video.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I put the meter on the purple connection and ground. I blew on the hose and could hear the switch "operate" but it did not register on the meter. Does that mean that switch is bad?

Yes, The pressure switch is not making contact, It should be replaced tom.

To order your replacement part>>>>> CLICK HERE <<<<< To order your replacement part.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would love to give you the highest rating! Can I wait to rate you until I get the part and it works? (I'm kind of a novice here at justanswer).

Thanks!

Sure but this is your problem Tom plus you can come back at any time after rating me for additional help if needed.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The new switch acts the same as the old switch, and the problem still exists. that is with the body off, and the machine unplugged, blowing on the tube activates the switch, but doesn't change the ohm reading.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did you get my message from the 17th? It wasn't the pressure switch. It still won't spin. I put the new one in, emptied the water, put it all back together, and it still sits there once it fills with water. I don't think I was checking the continuity on the switch correctly. I took my old switch apart, and alligator clipped onto the tabs- I had continuity when activating it. I tried the same with the new and again it acts just like the old. Putting it back together (with the new switch), I realized I had disconnected the ground on the back of the panel, so I was probably reading it improperly by following the video, because my ground was disconnected.

What else could it be?

Thanks,

Tom

Sorry Tom I didnt, Ok try bypassing the lid switch, it's likely this has come loose or failed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nope. That didn't do it.

Did you bypass it by disconnecting it at the wire harness then put a link in between the two gray wires.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. I put a connecting wire with solderless spade terminals jumped across the gray and white wires. I could send you pictures from my iphone if you think it would help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

... and testing it from the back of the connector confirms there is continuity between the two wires.

Ok tom well the only other thing it could be is the timer.