Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My GE dishwasher doesnt clean the dishes well, I see soap

My GE dishwasher doesn't clean...
My GE dishwasher doesn't clean the dishes well, I see soap residue and the detergent or the soap cubes still don't melt completely after the cleaning cycle is over.
8/13/2013
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician

Jon :

hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized GE service tech and I can try to help you today.

Jon :

what is the full model number of the dishwasher? the model sticker can be found on inside left wall of the dishwasher. so please open the door and take a look near the front of the machine. then post the full model number here so that way i can bring up the diagrams for your machine and help you better.

Jon :

And in the meantime, here are some things you should know about dishwashers. if you didnt already know.

Jon :

first of, the soap packets are terrible for cleaning. Especially the ones in the plastic. The dishwashers will never get hot enough to fully dissolve the plastic the soap is wrapped up in. So it leaves plastic pieces to float around in your dishwasher. Which in time will clog the main sump motor and circulation motors and even the drain pump motor.

Jon :

And if you are sticking the packets into the dispenser and closing the dispenser cap or lid then the soap packet is definitely not getting enough water pressure to release the detergent. When the soap packets get wet the will expens to the point where the packet will rip open and the soap will come out and eventually bu used to clean the dishes.

Jon :

But when you put the packet in the dispenser of the dishwasher not enough water pressure hits the soap packet to make it expand enough to let the soap and detergent come out to wash the dishes properly.

Jon :

and will usually leave a trail of soapy scum down the dishwasher interior door to the tub below. This is common nf\\\

Jon :

sorry

Jon :

and can be fixed easily by not using the soap packets and either using regular powder dishwashing detergent or even gel soap.

Jon :

now to find out how badly clogged your sump is please run the follow test. And please get back to me here if you have any questions and concerns and I will still help you more.

Jon :

First thing to do is remove all dishers and glasses out of the dishwasher. Then take 4 of the same size glasses and place them in either corner of the top rack only. And place them right side up so that can fill up with water.

Jon :

after the cups or glasses are n place close the door and start a regular cycle if the dishwasher will let you.

Jon :

Let the dishwasher fill completely then let it go into a wasg cycle for about 3 minutes. then open the door and see how full the glasses are. if any other cups are full then the circulation motor is good. and will most likely need the drain pump cleared out.

Jon :

after about three minutes into a wash cycle, when you open the door you should see all the glasses at least 1/2-3/4 of the way full. If they are not even close then you need to change the circulation motor for the motor is not sending enough water to the top or upper wash arm.

Jon :

please run that check and get back to me here with what you find and I will help you more.

Jon :

thanks.

Customer:

The full model number of the dishwasher PDW7300J10BB. I noticed that the soap residue is less when I run the dishwasher in anti bacteria and added heat mode. But with regular cleaning option the dishes don't clean. I will run the test tonight and get back to you.

Jon :

Hello again.

Jon :

Thank you for getting back to me. yes, the dishes will get cleaner and the soap packets will dissolve more when you use the anti bacterial and heat settings. The reason is when you use the anti bacterial settings the water is getting heated more then normal. And will also run a longer cycle as well.

Jon :

So when the water is heated more the more the soap packet will dissolve and get the dishes cleaner. then with the added heat dry settings the left over soap residue will heat away so to speak.

Jon :

Run the tests I described above and tell me what you find

Jon :

If you find that the soap packets dissolve better when they are just placed in the bottom of the tub as apposed to placing them in the dishwasher dispenser then great, keep doing the wash that way until you are all out of the packets. And when you run out dont get them again. Just use the powder or gel detergent. They wash the best. And for drying please also use a rinse agent like jet dry.

Jon :

You should find that the dishes will get washed better that way.

Jon :

If you find that the glasses dont get full at least half way after a minute of washing then the circulator pump is clogged and is binding and will need to be replaced.

Jon :

but if you find that the glasses are full after a minute of a wash cycle then good. the pump should be good and all you need to do is replace the soap packets.

Jon :

if you need the circulator motor it is part number WD26X10045 and should cost about $185.

Jon :

The part can be order by going to the website below and typing in the part number in the part search box. Or just order it directly from the link.

Jon :

Please get back to me here if you need any other help or have any other questions and I will help you more.

Jon :

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively with ok service or better rating below this chat now. And again, if you have more questions, please come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks again.

Still here for you.

Just switched from live chat to question answer format. Please answer me in the same as you were before and I will see that you have responded and get back to you.

Thanks.
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please get back to me here again if you need more help and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.

John: I just did the test and found that the 2 glasses get filled completely which were diagonally opposite but the other 2 diagonally opposite glassed were filled less than half.

I ran the dishwasher on regular cycle for approx 3 mins and then stopped. Please let me know the next steps.

Thanks

Suman,

Thank you for running that test. It helps greatly.

I want you to look at the top wash arm. The one that is directly under the top rack. Is the wash arm un position with the two glasses that are full? Usually the top wash arm will get stuck in this position and fill the two glasses in line with the wash arm more then the others opposite it.

If so, this usually means one of two things.

First, the upper wash arm is stuck and will not rotate properly. Leaving only two corners of the dishwasher to get clean instead of all four. And I would check to make sure nothing is preventing the upper wash arm from fully rotating. Sometimes a larger dish or fork or longer knife from bottom rack can block the upper wash arm. So first look to make sure nothing is blocking it. If there is just fix that first then try it again.

Second, poor circulation from the wash motor. If your wash motor, that would normally send water to the lower and upper wash arms is either clogged with food and sediment, that can lead to not enough water and pressure getting to the upper wash arm to properly rotate the arm. And to determine this, if you had done the above glass test while the dishwasher was empty, then you know nothing wash blocking the upper wash arm. So as long as the dishwasher was not set previously to only use the lower wash arm, we know the main wash motor is bad and needs to be replaced.

In my experience working on these machines, it is usually the wash motor that gets clogged with food and sediment and that sediment after a while will cause the wash motor to fail. Giving you the poor pressure to the upper wash arm.

Please let me know what you find and get back to me here. If you need the main wash motor I will get the part info for you. But hopefully on yours there is something binding the upper wash arm and you can quickly and cheaply fix the issue.

Please let me know how you do. And if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to positively rate my performance below this chat with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions after positively rating me please come back to me here again and I will continue helping you for no additional charge.

Thanks.
Suman,

Sorry about the last paragraph above. I know that you have positively rated me so please dont feel that you need to again. The one time is all you need to do.

And forgot to mention again that it is not recommended to use those soap packets. The plastic they are wrapped in never fully breaks down and cause the main wash motor to clog. So just use the powder or liquid detergent. As well as a rinse aid like JetDry.

Thanks again and please let me know what happens.

John: This is how the top wash arm looks like, noticed that one of the corners is broken. can that may be causing the glasses on one diagonal not being filled?

Thanks

Suman,

Yes, if the top wash arm was damaged in any way it could affect the way the dishes get cleaned.

I would replace it then run the cleaning with the vinegar like I suggest in the earlier post.

Here is the part you need. Just copy and paste the link below to your browser to open and view the parts page.

http://applianceassociatesli.partsquik.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=165052

You can order the part right from the page above. It will come with everything you need to replace it and is very cheap at only $15. I would just replace it then clean the dishwasher to fix your machine. The upper wash arm with just untwist and come down off the track for replacement.

If you have any questions please get back to me here and I will help you more.
Jon
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician