Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

The ice maker in our refrigerator has come to a slow crawl.

The ice maker in our refrigerator has come to a slow crawl. It used to produce plenty of ice, now we are lucky if it rolls out 10 cubes in a day. But amazingly, it does keep making ice. What could cause an ice maker to slow down, but not stop?

Subzero 736 TC

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..are the cubes the same size as before ,temps seem ok in the freezer ?

Customer:

The cubes do appear to be the same size or perhaps very slightly smaller. We believe the temp is ok in the freezer as our food remains frozen and the ice cream is solid.

Randy 43 :

what about cleaning the condenser?has that been done recently ?

Customer:

I took off the front plate and was able to clean away the front grill a few weeks ago using my hand, but didn't have a vacuum to suck out anything that may have been behind the grill. Not sure if that was good enough or not.

Randy 43 :

it should be fine if you can feel air flow , with the temperature in the freezer , do you have any way of verifying it is in the 0/ -6 F or colder ?

Customer:

I can try and find a thermometer to use in the freezer and check the temp, not sure if I have something though. I will also put my hand in front of the grill to see if I can feel air flow.

Customer:

should I try lowering the freezer temp even more? Your range suggested 0 to -6. I am at -2

Customer:

Of course, I have had the fridge for 5 years and it has always been set to 0 degrees. So perhaps it is the condenser cleaning

Randy 43 :

there are only a few things that would affect the ice cubes being slow ,temperature (,if it is in freezing range it will be ok) , if the valve is faulty or plugged up ,( but you verified the cubes are the same size) or the icemaker itself ..it may have a faulty thermostat internally or a bad board , you can only verify that the external causes are all ok then go with the icemaker if everything else checks out

Randy 43 :

yes , the colder the temps the faster it makes ice , i would drop it a few more deg ,and check the temps to make sure they are in range

Randy 43 :

if you feel the condenser may be plugged ? you can blow it out with compressed air , a little messy ,but it works

Customer:

can you describe how to blow it out? I thought you would use a vacuum and suck it in?

Randy 43 :

if you have a strong vac ,that is recommended , if it had really bad sticky dust then blowing it out works better ,but only being 5 years old ,a good vacuuming willl do it ,as long as you feel the air movement from the other side where the fan is

Customer:

I will try it, thanks very much

Randy 43 :

good luck , have a nice nite

Customer:

I appreciate your help, nite!