Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Hi. I am trying to remove rear bearing on my LG WD 1740FD direct

Hi. I am trying to remove rear bearing on my LG WD 1740FD direct drive front loading washing machine. I have removed armature and everything to expose bearing but still have no idea how to remove it.
Regards
Phil
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

You have to beat them out with a brass punch and sledge hammer. They just pound out and if they are not corroded a couple hits you will get them both out. Pound the back one out the back and the inner one out the front into the tub. LG does not make a bearing puller. Now once they are out here is a video on a great way to reseat the new bearings. Just copy and paste the link below into your address bar to watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaYxlwpqCz0

There must be an issue with the server, I responded to you over an hour ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I said can bearing be removed with out removing wash drum? I gather not. As is all I have done is unassembled rear of washer with drum remaining in machine. I can see bearing clearly but I can see no way of removing it

Ok when you said armature I thought you meant the spider arm that is attached to the inner tub....so the answer is no you need to remove the inner tub. This is a major job as you need to split the out tub half in two pieces to get the inner tub out to punch both bearings out and replace the inner seal. Sorry about that and the delay mate!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No worries at all. Can you suggest the best way of splitting the plastic spider ? do I need to remove all white outer paneles ? I have rear panel off, I have removed top cover and the control function panel and can see the studs whish hold the two plastic hubs together. Do I need to remove the front panel below the display panel. can you send me a break down picture possibly?

Regards

Phil

Watch this video, if you have the access panel in the back you have to remove the top and front panel to get the tub out. Basically once the front is off, remove all the hoses and mounting springs and lower shock supports and the tub will come out the front. This video will show you how to get the front off, after that it is pretty straight forward as you can see what needs to be removed. Just copy and paste the link below into your address bar to watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZUHy_AOIY0