Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

We just replaced the timer unit in our Frigidaire Gallery oven

We just replaced the timer unit in our Frigidaire Gallery oven because the oven burner would not come on. We just pressed BAKE and there was a bang and we are back to where we were to begin with. Everything works but the bake element (which is ok). Where could the problem be?

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today.. if you got a bang that is generally a dead short somewhere .do you have a model number ? and you dont see any burn marks anywhere ? the metal rod of the bake element isnt hitting on the outer casing? or the wires down to the element arent touching any metal?

Customer:

CGLEF385AS4

Customer:

I had the elemn

Customer:

I had the element tested and they said it was OK - This cooker was second hand and had the problem when we got it. I got hold of a used timer and swapped it. Every thing works OK except the bottom element, just as it did originally with the old timer

Customer:

The element appears to be installed \ok

Randy 43 :

have you physically checked the wiring from the clock down to the element? no burn marks on the rear panel? wires can get stripped and short out on the frame somewhere down to the element

Customer:

No I haven't checked that - There seems to be a temperature sensor for one side of the element connection - Is that true? I didn't see any burn marks previously but haven't taken the back off again

Customer:

Would the clock be damaged by this I wonder. I suspect it would and now this other one we tried will not trigger the element

Randy 43 :

sensor wouldnt cause a short , if it blows instantly there has to be a short somewhere

Customer:

Yes OK - I can review - However will it test OK now or will the clock not be working as a result?

Randy 43 :

depends on how severe the short was , it may not have damaged it ..

Customer:

OK - I will take the back off again - give me a few minutes

Customer:

OK - There was a short - somehow the terminal had popped off the element. We have tried it again but it isn't working - maybe the clock is fried again

Randy 43 :

if it shorted it badly that relay may have blown unfortunately , tighten the terminal and try again , if not heat you may be right

Customer:

My wife is telling me it maybe there is a fuse that has gone

Randy 43 :

check the breaker , if the broil still works then the breaker is on still

Customer:

There are two fuses on the top under the little cap. I am thinking of swapping them and trying again. They are both 15 amp

Randy 43 :

those are for the lites and outlet

Randy 43 :

newer ranges dont have fuses anymore , but if all the elements dont heat then the main breaker fuse for the range is off but if broil and others work then the clock relay fried

Customer:

OK - the logic appears to be reasonable. How annoying - it's not clear what caused the the problem originally but it looks like I have fried the replacement clock. No idea how the terminal popped off the element!! I have a new one on back order from Frigidaire - it's been nearly 2 months - they have 74 on back order.

Customer:

I wiull see if my second hand applicance guy can find another - they are hard to find

Randy 43 :

squeeze the terminal a little bit to insure a tight fit , it may have been a bad clock previously , sorry about the bad luck , sometimes a short isnt as severe and you can get away with it .

Customer:

Ok hang on I will try again

Customer:

Still no joy - I think you deserve paying - I will think about my next steps

Randy 43 :

ok ,thx good luck