Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience:  Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business
69602385

Got a GE range JGBP79MET2BC. A gas unit. The Baking does

Got a GE range JGBP79MET2BC. A gas unit. The Baking does not work. The grill does work. I replaced the ignitor (HSI) but it does not ignite. Wonder if it could be the heat sensor. Does the heat sensor controlls the broil too? if it does it should be something else.
Manny

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!
Does the gas igniter start to glow when you turn the oven or broiler on to bake or broil?

Customer:

The broiler works ok. The oven surfase ignitor does not glow. I replaced the oven surface ignitor but still no glow.. no gas there.

Appl-Tech :

Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer:

yes but I am not next to the range..it is a rental unit and I am the landlord. I did read about 170 Ohm on the ignitor. So if you tell me what to check I can do it later.

Appl-Tech :

There are two possible problems you may have considering the fact you say the broiler is working.
1- the bake side of the dual gas valve is burned out
2- the bake relay on the clock is not closing to supply voltage to the igniter and valve.
You can use you voltmeter to measure the resistance accross the two terminals on the gas valve
compare it to the broil side of the valve.

Appl-Tech :

You should be able to identify the bake relay on the clock if the valve checks out

Appl-Tech :

You can check the igniter for voltage when you set it to bake if you like. It should have 120~ volts going to it.
Obviously, if you have voltage and the igniter does not glow, it is bad.

Appl-Tech :

Did you have any other questions for me?

Customer:

Is there a possibility that the temperature sensor is open/closed. Does the temperature sensor also contro the broiler? or it controls only the baking oven? (the rod inside the oven on the top)

Customer:

not sure if you got my question

Appl-Tech :

no temp sensor would give you an error code on the clock

Appl-Tech :

if the broiler works, it is most likely a mechanical problem

Appl-Tech :

you can test the oven sensor if you like. Set your meter for resistance 1k ohm and you should read 1050-1080 at room temp across the two leads coming from the sensor

Appl-Tech :

And yes the temp sensor is needed to make the broiler work.

Customer:

Thanks for the info. I'll try it tomorrow.

Customer:

I am trying to rate but it wouldn't let me. I am happy with your answers but cannot input it, Am I suppose to wait for your response?

Appl-Tech :

sorry, i had it locked until we were done. Did you have any other concernes

Appl-Tech :

Thanks for you positive rating and feel free to come back if you have some other questions once you check it out