Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE JTP95 MW over wall oven; I had to have the oven

control broad rebuilt & now...
I have a GE JTP95 MW over wall oven; I had to have the oven control broad rebuilt & now the door locked light will not go off & I think I've been ripped off w/ a bad rebuild. Any ideas?
8/2/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you recheck that model number ? its incomplete and not comming up.

JTP95 BOA1BB

is this what you replaced ? Control Board WB27T10491      Main Product View

Similar, it is not installed so I can't be sure, it was part # XXXXX

okay found that it is the other control. so what was the original reason you needed to replace that ?

I woke up 1 morning & it was dead, that was it, repairman said it was unavailable, I found a parts house online that thought they had 1, but was wrong & offered to rebuild it saying they could also do that. Came back & was re-installed by same appliance guy & that's where i am now. re-builders are pointing their fingers at all theses other psssibilities, none of which were issues before

okay so now it lights up but has the lock icon on ? is the oven door locked ?

NO, never any problem w/ oven door or lock

Okay try this. press and hold the clear /off key in for 5 seconds. We need to see if the control is locked.

No luck, nor

holding down bake & broil at the same time for 5 seconds, nor

shutting off breaker for 30 minutes to see if board will reset

okay , I would call the tech that installed this back and tell him to fix the issue. Did they supply the part ? also did they test it after installing it ?

They rebuilt my part & tested it before sending it back. It's costs mt $70 each time to have it pulled. Does it sound like it could be anything else? oven sensor, door sensor? What is a membrane? everything was working fine before the board went bad.

What I need to know is if the tech that installed this actually tested it in your oven when he installed it ? we never leave a job without testing the machine did he ?

We were never able to get past the Door Locked light-he re-installed it but it ended w/ the light going on when power was restored. He looked at evewry issue that might cause the light going on & they were all working fine, oven temp sensor, door sensor etc

The rebuilder & the local tech are 2 different companies

Does this help, Are you still working on this?

Thanks,
npr

I have answered your question, did you follow my answer? Are we on the same page? The tech who re-installed to board was unable to test anything because the Door locked light prevented that.

okay I'm sorry my computer locked up.Well testing it at the factory really doesn't tell us much or whether they actually tested it in and oven maybe bench tested, are you going to try and test some things yourself ? do you have a volt meter ?

No, I have nothing. I feel I wasting money everywhere. This has turned into a disaster. I can pay a tech another $70 to pull it & then ship back to rebuilder for him to retest. I am pretty sure the fault lies w/ rebuilder. If you can't help me I will probably get someone from GE to come service. If they can repair or say it's the board, I'll pull the board & ship back to rebuilder one more time. Your suggestions? I was hoping you might have some troubleshooting ideas that might narrow it down. suspicions?

well I do have trouble shooting you can do but its done with a multimeter. if the control doesn't work theres no tests other than continuity and voltage tests.

I assume these are something a GE tech will know to do?

yes, it may be the door lock assembly has failed or the switch is stuck thats something A GE tech can test.

OK, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX we're done here.

Thanks,
npr

Okay you have a great day. like I said this can be tested but you need a meter. I wish we could do more but I don't want to have you order something until we are sure theres an issue with it.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician