Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

AMANA ABB 1924(PURCHASED 2005) NEW SOUND OF SECONDARY MOTOR

AMANA ABB 1924(PURCHASED 2005) NEW SOUND OF SECONDARY MOTOR OR ASSEMBLY ATTEMPTING TO START UP WITH NO SUCCESS--IT KEEPS TRYING. THIS HAS GONE ON FOR SEVERAL DAYS. ICE CUBES HAVE MELTED TO SHEET ONCE--BUT ICEMAKER SEEMS TO FUNCTION OK. FREEZER TEMP NOW AT 20 DEGREES, FRIDGE AT 30. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? DON'T WANT TO LOOSE FOOD. THANKS, BOB
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

I will say that on this particular model, the problem is almost always the compressor itself if it has a Tecumseh compressor instead of an Embraco I'm afraid to say.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thanks. I just want to make sure my description is understood. There seems to be another motor(compressor?) on going normally. The new noise of constant attempt to restart is beyond that. Are there two compressors? One operating normally and the second one with the problem?

There are not two compressors, but there are other fan motors and such that would be the noise you hear running constantly. The noise from the unit trying to re-start is the compressor itself.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for continued attempt to understand. It would seem that if the compressor keeps "trying" to start, there would be no freezing going on and all temperatures would rise to room temp and this has not happened???

It will happen, just give it time. The refrigerator will stay cool as long as the freezer is below 40 degrees. But right now the unit just acts like a "cooler" so it will eventually warm up