Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

the water flow to my refrig/freezer ice maker has stopped.

I can't figure out if...
the water flow to my refrig/freezer ice maker has stopped. I can't figure out if the solenoid is bad, or if the solenoid isn't getting a signal to open. How do I figure out which is the problem?
7/30/2013
Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!

Appl-Tech :

Is your fridge a side by side ?

Appl-Tech :

with a water dispenser?

Appl-Tech :

Hi Jay!

Customer:

yes.

Appl-Tech :

Do you know how to access the water valve in the back of your machine?

Customer:

the frig has two solenoids that control water flow to the ice maker and the cold water dispenser. I've verified that there is good water pressure to the filter that is prior to the three way valve with the outlet to both the ice maker and the cold water dispenser on the door.

Customer:

i changed the filter to be sure. we have good flow to the door cold water dispenser. I've also verified that the ice mechanism is rotating through its normal cycle.

Appl-Tech :

What is the model number so I can look up what kind of valve your have.

Customer:

stand by.

Customer:

Model number: KSRB25FHSS03

Appl-Tech :

thanks

Appl-Tech :

OK, it looks like you have just one valve with 3 coil on it. Does that sound correct?

Customer:

I'm not sure what you mean. The valve is a single valve body. There are two solenoids on the top. The inlet water enters through the low back side. When I depress the door cold water dispenser, the solenoid on the right actuates (vibrates) and water flows. When the ice maker goes through its cycle, the solenoid on the other side makes no noise/doesn't vibrate.

Customer:

I hope that helps with the details. Not trying to be argumentative.

Appl-Tech :

No problem, I just want to be sure we are on the same page. It make troubleshooting much easier

Appl-Tech :

Do the valve look like this.

Full Size Image

Appl-Tech :

or this

Full Size Image

Customer:

Cool beans. Jane and Chris are checking.

Appl-Tech :

cool beans?

Customer:

The consensus is that this is the part. Is there a way to know if I have a bad solenoid or a bad signal into the solenoid?

Customer:

correction. we didn't see the second valve. This color scheme more closely resembles our current valve. We vote for #2.

Customer:

Cool beans = we have a vector to a solution.

Customer:

I meant to say that the second picture is the one that more closely resembles the valve in our frig. Hope that helps.

Appl-Tech :

OK here is what I do to test the water valve coils to see if they work
Remove the 2 screws that hold the valve to the edge of the fridge.
Pull it out so you can access the plugs that are attached.
Leave the water line coming from the house attached and detach the two output lines
on the valve. You will have one which is a 1/4 tube and the other is a 5/16" tube which is a little
bigger. Get a towel and activate the water dispenser to check to see if that side of
valve works. It should be the larger tube port. Justpress the paddle on the dispenser long enough to see if water shoots out on the towel. Tell me if that happens

Appl-Tech :

Do you understand what I just said?

Customer:

Yes, I understand. But I already know that the door water dispenser solenoid actuates, and that the water flows from the door water dispenser when I push the door water dispenser paddle.

Appl-Tech :

Ok great,
Now the next step is to swap the plug from the large tube side of the valve to the small tube side of the valve.
You are only doing this to test it so if the plug is a different size, you will need to just hold it in place while someone else pushes the water paddle in front . If the valve IS good then water will shoot out of the small tube connection. So try that and tell me if water comes out of the valve.

Customer:

Wow. That is clever. Now I'm glad I'm paying for this. Stand by.

Appl-Tech :

Were you able to check it?

Customer:

Here's the situation. The plugs on the left hand side, which is the normal side for the ice maker, has smaller leads into the solenoid. The leads on the right hand side are larger. When we try to push the left hand side/ice maker plugs onto the right hand side(water dispenser side) they don't slide on. When we push the left hand side leads onto the right hand side valve, and push the water dispenser handle, we don't get any water flow. Is there a way to check the electrical signal out of the leads to know if one is working vs the other, or should we trust that we made an electrical connection w/ our test, and the the solenoid is truly bad?

Appl-Tech :

I understand the terminals are different size. You already know you have voltage by pressing the paddle to activate the water dispenser side. So, you just have to hold the plug on the icemaker side while someone activates the paddle. Just make the connection bu pressing the the plug onto the terminals. If you get no water out of the icemaker side of the valve, you will have determined that the coil on the ice maker side of the valve is bad and you need to order a new valve.

Appl-Tech :

If you have a volt-ohm meter you can also test the valve with the meter.

Appl-Tech :

I would suspect that is the problem. It happens all the time and I keep that valve on my service truck.

Appl-Tech :

Very common problem

Customer:

I trust your judgement. What should I set the multimeter to to verify I'm getting no output signal. Also , can you recommend where to order the valve (that doesn't cost a fricking fortune?) Tkx.

Appl-Tech :

do you have a digital or analog meter(needle)?

Customer:

digital

Appl-Tech :

ok set the meter to resistance and touch the probes together. The reading should go to zero
If it does, place the probes across the two terminals on the icemaker side of the valve. It should read close to zero also
If it reads high then it indicate the coil is open

Customer:

I'm not following you. I only have access to the electrical inputs from the fridge to the ice maker solenoid, and to the ice maker solenoid inputs. Is there any way to directly test the solenoid, or to test the input signal from the fridge to the solenoid? Is the fridge just putting out a dc voltage, similar to a garden water valve controller, or some other input signal to the ice maker solenoid?

Appl-Tech :

no DC just a/c just take the two probes from the meter, set the meter to read resistance (ohms 1x ) and touch the probes to the two terminal on the icemaker side of the valve. Remove to plug to access the terminals
It should read close to zero if the coil is good

Customer:

Ok. The left hand side (ice maker) terminals read infinite. the right hand side (door water dispenser) reads a value. So, solenoid is bad. Where can I order the part, and what is the specific p/n?

Appl-Tech :

let me check the part number for you BRB

Customer:

tkx

Appl-Tech :

W10408179 part number
just google it and get the best price
They have changed to valve to the new push on connectors
if you have to screw on tubing connectors, you will just have to take a sharp
knife and cut the nuts on the end of the tube where they connect to your current
valve and then they just push into the new valve. Very easy

Appl-Tech :

I hope I have helped you out and my I ask that you please rate my help tonight as positive for JA?
Tips or bonuses are appreciated but not required.
Thanks for the opportunity to help you out and thanks for using JA!

Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician