Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hello, I have a 10 yr old maytag side by side refrigerator.

Lately, the refrigerator is not...
Hello, I have a 10 yr old maytag side by side refrigerator. Lately, the refrigerator is not as cold as it should be even though it is on the coldest setting. The freezer is just fine. I am vacuuming out the back section today and hoping it helps. Maybe just an airflow thing? Any advice please? Thank you so much! Angela
7/28/2013
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Can I get the complete model number of the unit? This should located inside the fridge section on the side wall or ceiling of it...

hi, not quite sure what the model # XXXXX XXXXX it has worn off. I can tell you that it seems to end in 2432GR. and its 32-33" wide.

Angela,
Is the back wall of the freezer covered in snow or ice?

no. not at all.

So there is no frost at all on the back wall of the freezer?

no. none.

When yo uclean out the coils on the back, look at the compressor and see if it says TECHUMSAH or has a picture of a blue indian on it. Leaning the coils may help, however from the symptoms you are saying, it sounds like you have one of these compressors and it is failing, if so it is time to junk the unit, but only if it say Techumsah or the blue indian on it...

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

hmm. yeah, its that compressor. and my warranty is of course expired. are you sure that is the issue? should I be replacing the compressor or do I need to look for a new unit?

Yes I would replace the unit, these compressor were not even designed to last 6 years. replacing the compressor is going to be over $600 with labor.. The newer models on the market use 1/3 the power to cool now, so you will save in the long run...

wow. hate to have to do that. would you still recommend maytag or are they not as good as they used to be? I see many complaints lately online. thanks for your advice.

It doesn't matter anymore, even when they say Maytag they are really Whirlpools now, sonce they were bought out..

so you would go with either or is there another brand you really like that's been reliable? I remember my mom's appliances lasting for many more yrs. I suppose those days are gone but would love a new one to last longer than 10 yrs.

I would go with as plain jane whirlpool side by side without all the electronics in it, I paid $800 for mine 2 years ago, has everything but is all mechanical controls with the exeception of the water filter reset button on it...

thanks so much for your advice, Chas. I am starting to look for a new fridge. in the meantime, I had to call the fire dept today since my maytag (legacy series, 10 yrs old) died and started smoking. no fire just embarrassing! lol. will go with your opinion and skip bringing a tech out to look at the fridge, since you sound very certain. thank you again for your help! no more maytags for me! take care. Angela

Angela,
I think you are make a sound choice on replacing the unit, Please be sure to rate my services to you so I may be credited for my help...
Thank you and good luck
Chas
Angela,
I just noticed that question is still opened? Is their anything else I can do for you today?

I just finally am home from work and am checking email. just wondering how long this thing may limp along before dying. its only been less cold for about a week. how much time do I have to make a move? thank you again for all your help Chas. I will be sure to share a good review! Kindly let me know the timing. otherwise, I am good.

I would not give it long before failure, I would hope you can find a replacement within 2 to 3 weeks...

Again, please you need to rate my service to you for me to get credit for helping you?

Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Chas
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician