Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hi, I have an electric GE Profile JSP47W electric oven/cooktop.

My light inside was burned...
Hi, I have an electric GE Profile JSP47W electric oven/cooktop. My light inside was burned out. I thought you had to unscrew the 2 screws that hold the light housing in place (not realizing that all you needed to do was twist the glass cover off). So, after I unscrew the 2 screws and pull out the housing (it was at this point I realized I shouldn't have even had to do this). All of a sudden there's a small pop and flash of light and it flips the breaker outside (dedicated to oven). I look and there's 2 wires connected to this light housing and one is all burned up. What to do now??
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/27/2013
Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!

Appl-Tech :

Oops, you removed the screws that held the lamp socket in the wall of the oven.
You will need to remove the back of the range and put the socket back in place.
Hopefully, you did not do anything but burn the wire terminal. It is possible on some models to damage the computer board, but lets not dwell on that until you get it back together. You will have to look at the terminal and see if it to damaged to reattach the wire. If it is, you will have to purchase a new socket assembly.

Customer:

let me start by saying you're talking to a girl..... ok, the thing that holds the light bulb, it's a housing that is located on the inside top of my oven and is held in place by 2 screws. when pulled out, 2 wires are connected to the back of it. the light socket and the 2 connectors are fine. however, one of the wires looks almost fried in half. those wires disappear up into the top of the oven.

Customer:

the girl comment was supposed to let you know that i really don't know what the h*ll i'm talking about..... )-:

Appl-Tech :

I understand,
Unfortunately, you will have to get a tool called a nutdriver or a a small socket wrench with a 1/4" socket to remove the back of the machine. I really don't know your level of mechanical ability. Some women are great with tools some like makeup, LOL
But if you of the latter, I am afraid you will have to hire the services of a technician to help you out.

Customer:

can i send you a picture, just to make sure were discussing the correct thing and also so that you can see this wire. just want you to verify that it is fried and i shouldn't reconnect it.

Customer:

i can get the back of the stove off, just want to make sure i need to first.

Customer:

??

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Appl-Tech : Okay the socket looks fine you should just have to reassemble it back into the oven and then replace the terminals back from the wires
Customer:

what about that one wire?

Customer:

just reattach it w/ it looking like that?

Appl-Tech :

Sorry for the delay , I have a network problem.
Yes that little spot will not affect the connection.
Just slide the wire terminal back on the connections and reassemble

Appl-Tech :

You were very lucky that there was so little damage. Don't worry about reconnecting the wire, it will work just fine.

Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician