Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hi. I have a DBXR463GG8WW dryer used only a few times before

Customer Question
being moved by moving van...
Hi. I have a DBXR463GG8WW dryer used only a few times before being moved by moving van form CA to NY.

We had gas company convert from natural gas to propane but I wasn't here to see if they tested.

The dryer while 2010 is virtual brand new not a drop of lint anywhere so air flow and exhumation hook up is per your directions and free flowing

Problem: ignighter works, but gas doesn't ignite. I can smell propane only when I turn on dryer indicating that the solenoids are working and gas is flowing but somehow not igniiting.

When I turn off dryer, gas smell goes away, so gas shut off must be working too.

I opened the dryer front and top panels to see if any wires came loose in the move. All looks perfect.

I also checked to see if the igniter wasn't in proper place in order to come in contact with gas, but it is in its bracket with element pointing up into where the gas comes out.

Everything I've read always points to the two solenoids, but if I smell gas, doesn't that mean they must be working? I didn't have my meter with me to test them unfortunately.

That's all my observations. Igniter works (on and off every 20+ seconds, gas seems present, but gas not igniting.

What might be wrong?

Thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/27/2013
Appliance Technician: Mike, Home Appliance Technician replied 4 years ago
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

The problem here could and most likely is the igniter, Under normal conditions the igniter should be drawing 3.2 amps in order for the gas valve to open and the gas to ignite.

If for some reason the igniter was damaged it may still be drawing enough amps to open the valve but not getting hot enough to ignite the gas. The way to tell if your igniter has a problem is to look at it, A good igniter will glow bright yellow to the point you cant look at it, if the igniter glows yellow/orange then it's bad and will need to be replaced.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Hi Mike. Is there a way to view the igniter directly? Because the best we seem to be able to do is look indirectly because don't we have to reassemble the dryer other wise the tumbler can't spin without the front panel on and centering it.

With the front on and top off, I can see yellow orange BUT indirectly looking to the right side of the spinning tumbler.

I also placed a morrow underneath, but my GE model only has a small view opening that allows you to see the glare but not the igniter directly.

I'm sure not approved but I was thinking of removing the igniter and placing it outside the dryer and lightly replacing the front panel so I can see it directly.

When I get to my shop I have meter there and should I hook it up looking for 3.2 amps?

I'm still wondering how could a dryer with just 12 uses have broken igniter.

If you could see it and the inside, there isn't a drop, literally, of dust, dirt or lint. It is virtually brand new and worked perfectly in Los Angeles.

For my $50 I need to know more.

Could the igniter get damaged in a move by top of the line movers, not some kids or cheap way.

And could the conversion from natural gas to propane be the issue since the last time it worked was in LA using natural gas and now after the conversion here in NY, I smell the gas, but it isn't igniting.

Lastly, while I can't see the igniter directly because of the obstacles in my line of sight, from what I can see, the glare seems quite bright and stays on a solid 20-30 seconds so it would "seem" able to light the gas.

What about trying to manually light the gas with a long BBQ lighter. Then obviously if it lights, you're right and the igniter isnt hot enough.

Please let me know other ways to test and things to try.

No offense but all you've told me is how bright the igniter should be and I need to know more like how to view it directly and what if it is very bright and thus eliminating the igniter. Then what is next to look at?

Thanks very much
You should be able to view the igniter directly by taking the door panel off by removing the 2 screws either side on the inside. Once the door panel is off (leave the door switch connected) remove the belt from the drum.

Start the dryer and look right into the burn tube.

The igniter should read between 3.2 - 3.5 amps, we know it's drawing enough amps because it's opening the valve, however the igniter may be damaged and not getting hot enough.

You should not try to light the gas with a BBQ lighter.

Basically Steven in a nutshell the problem is with the ignition system, there are only a couple things that can cause this. The igniter or the valve. We can smell gas to the problem must be the igniter.

Thanks!

Mike.

The conversation to propane may be the cause since they would have to have pulled the igniter out to replace the orifice, they may have cracked it.
Mike, Home Appliance Technician