Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My kitchen Aide Refrigerator/Freezer KBFS20EVMS 5 which is

only 2 1/2 year old...
My kitchen Aide Refrigerator/Freezer KBFS20EVMS 5 which is only 2 1/2 year old has water [I assumee[ freezing from the back of the freezer under the grill towards to top back then it runs along the shelf and onto the bottom of the freezer before it makes it way onto the floor. I have shut the frig off and completely thawed out the area and pulled the frig out from the wall pouring hot water into the hole in the back to thaw it all out before I turned it back on, but with in 3 or 4 days I noticed the freezing beginning on the shelf which has worked it's way onto the bottom of the freezer in 3 or 4 days. I shut off the water supply which does not seem to solve the problem. The plastic hose from the water supply is exceptionally long tho. The plumber should have used less.

Can you help? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
7/27/2013
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

This is defrost water from the cooling coil, located behind the rear inside panel of the freezer. You will need to add a drain probe to the heater under cooling coil that extends down into the drain hole to prevent freezing again. This is a strap of aluminum that warps around the heater and the rest goes down the drain. It comes with a screw to secure it with. You will not need the tube that comes with it. Here is the part# XXXXX cost about $12. Please give me a great rating for answering your question if this was helpful. You can still respond back after rating if needed for more information until satisfied. Thank you

You will need to defrost all the ice before you reassemble the unit again. Also, use some water and make sure the drain is clear. Also, pull the fridge out, and remove the back lower cover where the compressor is, and make sure the drain tube is not kinked, or damaged as well. Thanks again

This is not enough info for me. I already did thaw and pour boiling water into the hole to drain. Once I take off the panel in the back of the frig, I can see the drain pan and I had to take out a lot of water. But I could not see a heater, or I do not know what the heater looks like. Or do I know where the cooling coil is. Does this part # XXXXX have instruction how to attach? Does it need electricity for hookup?

How do I know if the unit is fully defrosted? Last time I used a turkey baster and pour boiling hot eater doen the hole inside the back of the freezer. I ended up with water in the drain pan so I figured it was thawed out? Are you saying this will continue to freeze and that this drain probe will solve the problem? HOw does the probe work?

Thanks Sue

Yes the drain probe will solve the issue from reoccurring. The cooling coil is behind the inside rear panel of the freezer. You will have to remove it this panel to get to the heater. The heater is a black calrod under this cooling coil. You will see it when you get the inside rear cover off in the freezer. just hook the drain probe around the heater, insert the screw thru the hole and tighten. The long part of the drain probe should go down the drain hole. If you do not want to purchase the drain probe, you can wrap so copper wire around this heater, and let about 2 inches of it go down the drain hole, this serves about the same purpose. The theory of it is, when this defrost heater turns on, the heat transfers down the "probe" into the drain hole to prevent the water from freezing. This is a common issue for all refrigerator units. That is all there is to it. The hardest part is getting the inside rear panel off. If this is more than you want to tackle, a service person should charge about $150 to so this repair. I hope this information helps further. Please let me know if you need more assistance. I will know that I have assisted you when a I see a good to great rating for doing so....Thanks again.

Okay. I live in rural Alaska where there is NO service people available since the closest is 245 miles away. I have to do all my own repairs. I have already taken that panel off. I will try what you have said. But I will keep this open until I can figure this out. I would have to order the part and have it shipped. Takes too long and shipping was half the price of the $14 part. How long are you on line?

I am here to help you if needed. Just respond back to this question if you need help. You can rate the question whenever you like. That doe not close the question out, it just helps keep me an expert on this site. So, just respond back if you need further assistance.....Thanks again
I just wanted to check back with you, to see how it was going. Sounded like you were going to do the repair, then no response. Please let me know if I can help further, or give me a good to great rating if I already have so that I will know if we are done with you question, or not.....Thank you

I ended up completely defrosting the freezer for the third time. I found other problems that caused the freezing & leaking. I ended up going to blogs and found much more information on how to remedy my problem. There were many more suggestions to help me in the problem with the drain which needed done. Finally after days, this seems to be rectified.

The part you mentioned or the copper is probably useful, but I had other problems that needed attention. The rubber cup over the end of the drain had a piece of plastic in it. Who knows where it came from. Maybe from defrosting. Thawing the back out completely and making sure the water could flow through the drain was the big problem.

Yes there is a check valve at the end of the drain tub that prevents ambient air to back flow up the drain tube. This can cause the issue as well. The heat probe that I mentioned will stop the tube from freezing even if the check valve is faulty. When the heater kicks on, the heater transfers down the tube as well to prevent water from freezing. I was going to have you check the tube as well after the drain probe was installed, but you beat me to it. I hope I was of help to you. Please give me a good to great rating if you feel I have done so. Thanks again.
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech

I did cut the check valve a bit larger 1/16 inch & put the copper wire into the drain. Things are now working.

That should be a good repair.....Great job....Thanks again

Jason
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech