Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience
63955563

I have a GE fridge freezer GSG20IEMCFBB and after following

I have a GE fridge freezer GSG20IEMCFBB and after following your video on solenoid replacement, I find that the solenoid is rusted and there is condensation around it and on the dispenser flap. I have called an engineer who says that the rust is caused by the insulation in the door that has failed and that I need a complete new door! I feel that he is perhaps trying to paddout the job into a more expensive one.
Is there a cause for the rusting and condensation other than faulty insulation or is cold air somehow getting into the ice dispenser?
Ian UK [email protected]
No he is correct, BUT you can replace the solenoid and be fine. Check the dispenser door by shining a flashlight from outside, and looking down the funnel from inside door. If light leaks thru replace dispenser door as well. That is all there is too it. Please let me know if you needs part #'s. If this information answers your question, please give me a great rating. If not, please respond back....thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jason

Do I need a complete new freezer dooras the engineer says?

Or can the fault be fixed by just replacing the solenoid and dispenser door?

Replace the dispenser door (if needed, by doing the light test), and the solenoid (due to rusting). That will get you going for a good while. If it rust out again, just throw in another solenoid.....much cheaper that a door......:) I hope this helps....Thanks again

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

am I right in thinking that there is a heater element in the door to prevent condensation? Is it adviseable to replace this also or is it a very difficult job?

Regards

Ian (UK)

It is a difficult job. I have replaced 100's of these coils rusted like yours to have no problems for years. If you want to, you can pull the coil every year and sand the plunger to assure it to not damage due to rust. Much cheaper, and easier, than a new door, or retrofitting one.....Thanks again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

should I replace the heating element?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

should I replace the heating element?

I would not. The only reason that I have had to replace the door for the heater, was when the inner door would frost to the point is stopped the operation of the dispenser. Your is not doing that, you just had a rusted up dispenser coil. That is very common for this model. You have nothing to sorry about. Replace the coil if you haven't already, and you should be good to go.....Thanks again