Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hello, Maytag PTB 1553 GR #136 259 03AA Feb. 2002 Worked

Hello, Maytag PTB 1553 GR...
Maytag PTB 1553 GR #136 259 03AA Feb. 2002
Worked perfectly until 2 days ago when it's ability to cool went away. There is air coming in, but it is not cold. Freezer seems to have more air volume coming in than main compartment. Settings are at mid range (4).
I'd like to either fix it myself or at least buy the part(s). Can you help with this?
Thank you,
Neal Peterson
7/23/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you look inside the freezer on the back wall and see if theres frost on it ? also is the fan running in the freezer ?

As I wrote, it's been off for 1 day so no, no frost. Don't recall seeing any frost when it was running good.

Yes the fan is running, but as I wrote, the air is not cold.

Okay can you remove the back panel inside the freezer behind where your food goes and plug this back in? let it run and tell me if the coils frost lightly on all the coils ?

I removed 4 screws, but the panel is still attached to something behind it.

its the fan thats holding it. number 7, do you have number 1 out also?

I'm working on #1. Looks like its captured at 2 pls at the top and bottom, but I can't seem to release from panel. any trick to this?

there are usually little clips that snap this in but I can get a picture of this one so cant show you. take the knob off and try sliding up also see if thats how this is connected.

There is no knob on my unit (per illustration). It is fastened in at least 6 places--2 across the top, 2 midway and near bottom of sides. They 're molded into part. They are L-shaped and fit into rectangular slots in the panel.

Okay open the refrigerator and look on the side wall or the ceiling and recheck your model number. I may have the wrong diagram up.

PTB 1553 GRW ser.# XXXXX 259 03AA.

I got the cover off--broke 1 of 6 tabs, but let's proceed. Removed the ice maker connections and panel came free. It's been running for 5 min now.

okay let it run for about an hour and let me know what the frost pattern on the coils look like.

Is it important to have the panel with the fan mounted to it IN PLACE while running it?

no you dont need the fan just to check the frost pattern. thats just for cooling the refrigerator section really.

Well, I set it back loose but in place, and the fan is running and the doors are closed. OK?

Also there is tubing and lots of fins. Specifically, what info will you need when I look at this stuff?

Okay in about an hour take a look at the fins (silver) they should have a light coating of frost on a all the coils evenly. if only a few frost let me know.

Hi again. OK, so looking at the coil assembly, there is no frost--none on any surface--it's clean and bright.

oh okay. pull the refrigerator away from the wall and feel the compressor. Is it Hot,Warm or Cold ? does it feel like its vibrating ? running ? make sure its not a vibration from the fan you feel.

Is the compressor the rectangular part with a fan mounted to it, or the elliptical shaped can next to it?

It will look like this . Compressor W10309989 Main Product View

OK. It feels very still and is nearly too hot to touch.

Okay, if its not vibrating its not running. its hot because the start winding are overheating. there is a start relay on the side of the compressor thats most likely the cause. Relay and Overload Kit 12002782 Main Product Viewits a kit. you can order it at the following link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Relay-and-Overload-Kit/12002782/1194680?modelNumber=PTB1553GRQ?RCAID=1000065 just click on that blue link. it cames with instructions .
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

To your knowledge, what is the largest part in the photo? I don't see that in my unit. Is that a cover? Also after I buy the kit and instal it, I will contact you again to verify that is is the fix. How do I do that?

thats the replacement thats all, they changed them. yours may look like this. and that is a cover that comes with the new one. just reply when you done installing it and I will receive it.

Hi, I'm back. The new parts are installed. Before I turn it on, in the instructions, there is a NOTE: Instal Green/Yellow ground wire to compressor ground. There wasn't a wire attached to this terminal to begin with. all green/yellow wires (there are 3 leads) are screwed to the refrig. chassis, and I don't see any unconnected leads. Is this OK?

Also, do I have to let the compressor cool off before I Plug it in?

the refrigerator chassis should be fine. Is this still hot ? let it cool a little before plugging it in.

It has been off and cooling for over an hour. It's still warm to the touch.

okay as long as you have everything hooked up right go ahead and plug it in.

About 10 seconds after I plugged it in, there was an audible "click" sound.

Then, about every 2 or 3 min, I would hear it again. The compressor does not seem to be vibrating, and the air from the freezer fan is not cold.

Oh , well thats the relay clicking and the compressor not starting, thats not good. we know now the relay was bad because you didn't get the click before, unfortunately though the compressor not starting means the compressor has failed. can you return the relay ?

No. What would be all the possible things I would have to do to get this thing back to normal. The comp. alone is $375.

well theres only one other thing you could try, You see we have no way of knowing the compressor has failed until we change the relay and it doesn't start unfortunately. you can try a 3inone hard start kit and that may get it running but theres no guaranty's that will work however. the 3 in one has a capacitor to help start the compressor and works about 1/2 the time.

I don't like the odds. At this point, if I have a guy come out and just fix it, the cost is more than new. If I get a compressor, whether new or used, and I install it, I need to know(based on your experience) that this alone is the solution. If you have ANY doubt that after installing a compressor, there could be another issue, I would like to hear it so I can make a decision.

Okay heres my take on replacing a compressor , 1 the replacement compressors are not made any better than the one you have so it could fail in a matter of years, 2 sometimes when these compressors fail you get very tiny pieces of the old compressor in the lines and they can clog the dryer and blow the new compressor or sometimes these wont cool at all if the clog is bad enough. Its an expensive risk and a lot of company's wont guaranty that wont happen. I really recommend getting another refrigerator and save yourself the aggravation to be honest. make sure you research them before settling on one, check the rating on it. So sorry it turned out this way. like I said we have no way of knowing until we try. thanks and very best wishes, Bryan

Just for the record, by "rating", do you mean read the owners' reviews or is this an industry rating system for quality?

rating me means a get credit for assisting you. You already rated me and thank you. I wish it turned out better for you. have a great night, Bryan

ok, Bryan, thanks for your input.

Neal

Okay Neal your welcome. have a great night and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician