Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE side by side Model GSH25JSTFSS refrigerator which

I have a GE side by side Model GSH25JSTFSS refrigerator which came with the house I just bought so I have no history on it. I plug it in and the interior light comes on and that is it. I cannot hear anything running and the panel on the door will not light up. the light on the inside of the freezer for the icemaker does come on. That is all I can offer. Thanks!

John Snawder
Louisville, KY.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, This is a common issue on these refrigerators, this happens when the mother board fails. this is mounted on the back of the refrigerator behind an 8X10 inch cover. if you have a volt meter check the power at the board, just go from Line to ground and you should have 120 volts. If there 120 volts there the board need to be ordered and replaced. below is a link to order the board. thanks and best wishes, Bryan

mother board...... http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?modelNumber=GSH25JSTFSS?RCAID=1000065 just click that blue link for the control board.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX small amount of research that I have been able to do, that did look like the probable cause. I have looked at what it takes to replace it and feel confident that I can do it. Can I reasonably expect that the new one will last me a while?

yes a new one will last a long time, G.E. redesigned the boards, they had a lot of issue's with them but got all the straightened away, the compressors in those refrigerators are real good ones so thats a plus. you should get a lot of years out of it. its easy to change that board its just a plug and play. thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bryan,I got the new board and when I removed the cover I found that the old board was not there. I do not know what happened but it was missing. I put the new board in the way that I thought it should go and the fan comes on and the door panel seems to be working correctly but after several hours it does not seem to be cooling on either side. Could I have wires wrong or should I be looking at something else? The valve for the water was turned off so I turned it on but cannot get any water through the door or in the icemaker. Just wondering if I di something wrong? Thanks!

the board was missing ! ? mmm, thats strange.how many wire plugs are there on this ? does it look like any have been cut out ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bryan , sorry for the delay but in answer to your question it does not look as if any of the plugs were cut out . I was dissappointed to find the board completely missing as I was counting on the old one for my guide to hook up the new one. I would really like to know the history of this refrigerator. In the negotiations for buying this house, we were just told that it did not work and had been looked at by a repair person but the repair was going to be expensive and he could leave it with the house or remove it. we opted to leave it. I only met the seller at our closing and did not think to ask him about it. I don't have a way to contact him and ask him about it.

okay well the first thing you need to do is check power at the large connect (3 wire) on the bottom. are you getting 120 volts ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will have to let you know. I am at my other house at this time as we are still in the process of moving. I will tell you that I do not own a volt meter and do not want to mislead you or waste your time. If this is a fairly inexpensive item, I will get one.

you can pick up a cheap volt meter at lowes for around $15.00 , its worth having.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, I will let you know what I find. The power cord is plugged in correct ?

thats correct.