Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a sub zero refrigerator (no freezer) Model 501R which…

I have a sub zero...
I have a sub zero refrigerator (no freezer) Model 501R which has quit. There is no sound whatsoever and obviously it is not cold anymore. I emptied the appliance. Is there anything I can do myself to check it? Can I slide it out -- it as matching kitchen moldings on the front and a grill on the bottom -- and do some checking on it? I can't find the breaker on the panel for it so I was hoping to find the plug somewhere (we have had pop up thunderstorms here so I thought it might have caused it to blow a fuse).

Any thoughts on how to check anything on my own?
7/19/2013
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Unfortunately there is no fuse, what has likely happened here is the control board fried in the storm. You can try unplugging the unit from the wall for 20 minutes, this is located behind the grill at the top of the unit, If this does not work it will need a new control board.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

I am not sure that the storm hit anything yet. Nothing else in the home has been affected. That was just a comment from a tech who was here for a dryer problem.

I had condensation on the top of the refrigerator for a reasonably long time (like a month maybe..), could that be it? Or, also, the rubber seal has a rip in it although not all the way through to the inside of the compartment. Could that cause a problem?

The grill is on the bottom (this has no freezer in it). Any idea how to get the grill off?

The fridge is completely warm? do you see any frost on the rear lower panel inside the fridge?

The fridge is completely warm. No frost anywhere.

Ok in this case the condensation will have no bearing on the problem, The control board basically runs all the functions inside the fridge and sounds like the problem, this is the most common problem with this unit.

Once the control board has been replaced the gasket will also need to be replaced around the door in order to cure the condensation problem.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Hi C,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,