Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have GE trash compactor model GCG1580LOSS. The the old motor

I have GE trash compactor...
I have GE trash compactor model GCG1580LOSS. The the old motor would not move the ram, it hummrf so it was getting power, just not enough torque to move it. I ordered a replacement motor Manufacturer Number WC26X10006 and when I installed it the ram stopped moving down after the ram clears the 2 micro switches at the top and the motor heats up enough to engage the thermal shut off switch. I thought maybe the new motor was bad so the supplier sent another one and it does the same thing. The new motor comes with an adapter cable and a replacement drive gear that is beefed up handle the higher torque of the new motor. The motor runs fine when bench tested. I have lubricated the old motor and reinstalled it and the compactor worked fine for 2 cycles and then quit and just hummed. Any ideas?
7/18/2013
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

If the ram stops right as the direction switch is cleared then the direction switch is shorted and is making contact on both direction poles of the motor. That is why it is heating up so much is the motor is being fed voltage to both sets of windings. It is basically trying to go two directions at the same time.

Replace the direction switch and you are good to go.

Please click here for a schematic and description of the complete cycle.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

I have ordered the part and will let you know if the new directional switch fixes the problem. Never suspected the switch because the compactor worked for 2 cycles when I reinstalled the old motor after lubricating it, but then the motor just hummed and wouldn't drive the ram.

The switch may be intermittant so it could work for a cycle or two.

Let me know how it turns out.

Best, Smitty

I replaced the directional micro switches and I still have the same problem. The ram moves past the switches and stops. The motor continues to draw current because it is heating up and activating the thermal override switch.

The directional switch did not fix the problem. I am still confused that the original motor, after lubricating and reinstalling, moved the ram through an entire cycle twice before stopping and just humming. The new motor only moves the ram below the directional and limit switch. That seems to indicate that the circuitry is o.k. and perhaps the new model motor isn't compatible???

Check the continuity of the limit switch.
It should not have continuity when the ram is at the top of the cycle.

The only time it should have continuity is during up travel.