Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My Whirlpool Quiet Partner II stopped during washing. Front

My Whirlpool Quiet Partner II stopped during washing. Front panel lights are now flashing and the machine will not start again. There is water in the bottom of the dishwasher. I need to know how much it would cost to repair so I could judge if its worth it.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Hello, my name is Dave. I would like to give you accurate information so I will need your model number and need to know which lights are flashing and is there a pattern? If it flashing, as an example, 2 times a pause and then 3 times? Thanks.

Customer:

Model # DU1055XTVT1

Customer:

lights that are on 1 and 2 pots and pans, normal continually flash

Customer:

soak and scour lights up but does flash

Customer:

Start/continue continually flashes slower, flash-pause flash-pause

Customer:

Model #: DU1055XTVT1

Appliance Tech Dave :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful. This should mean that it is a door switch problem. You could even try to open and close the door a few times quickly and then firmly push the door closed. If it still does not work, the door will need to be taken apart and the switches checked with a meter. This should be a 30 minute repair plus parts. Depending on your location this could be $80 to $150. Does this help? Dave

Appliance Tech Dave :

Can you change the settings to get the option and cycle lights to change? Does pressing the start/cont do anything?

Customer:

Closing the door did not work. Could this possibly be the control panel needs to be replaced? I have pressed all the buttons and it doesn't change anything.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Yes, that was the point of my last question. If the touchpad does not allow you to make any changes it may have stuck switches. Most times this causes a rapidly flashing light though. To test for a failed touchpad the tech disconnects the connector from the touchpad to the control and turns on the power again with the door open. When he closes the door the drain pump will come on IF the touchpad was the problem and if not it is the control, (not usually the problem). Let me look up the touchpad so you have an idea of cost if that turns out to be the problem.

Appliance Tech Dave :

The touchpad is W10459139 and is about $150 but on the Sears site it is just under $100. I hope this helps you decide what to do. Please ask questions until you have all the information you need. Dave

Customer:

Generally what would labor be for installation. Where I live Sears. charge $139 service to come out. Would you repair a 3-4 yr. machine. I believe it is 3-4 yrs old and a lower priced model. Do you think I am possibly looking at more repairs down the road

Appliance Tech Dave :

This is generally a reliable dishwasher and they often last 10 years or longer. I would not spend more than half the cost of replacement but that is just a general rule. Keep in mind you need to add the cost of installation of the new dishwasher if you replace it.