Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE Monogram hood Model #ZV750SY. The increase/decrease

fan speed buttons have almost...
I have a GE Monogram hood Model #ZV750SY. The increase/decrease fan speed buttons have almost never worked. Sometimes after the fan has been on for a while it works. usually the down speed button does the opposite. I've had the panel and board replaced more than once. What is wrong?
7/12/2013
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

When they replaced the parts did the unit work properly at all? Aproximatly how long until it stopped working right after the parts replacement?

Thank you

Yes, after replacement the unit worked properly. But this time, only after 3 days it went back to the same malfunction.

Okay, thank you.

Please try this for me: Turn off the power to the vent hood and then get a hair dryer. While warming up the control buttons run your fingers back and forth over them. Get them good and warm. What this does is dissapate and moisture that may have got into the controls and will hopefully make them work for a bit. If this gets the controls working again then we will know that the problem lies in the parts ability to keep moisture out.

If this is the case what you need to do is get some high quality silicone, remove the control modual, and seal it so that no moisture can get into it.

Many of the GE touch pad controls have had this problem. Sealing them on site works well.

Please let me know if you need anything else. If not please select a positive rating below. Rating will not close the question and you may ask all the follow up questions you like, after you rate my service, all at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Please tell me what form of silicone: can I buy it at the hardware store, is it a spray, etc.

Sorry. Silicone caulking is what I was refrerring to.

This product will work just as well and is easy to apply.

Please click here.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

I will continue to try your solution during the next few days. I will not be able to rate you until after that.

No problerm =)

I just tried the hair dryer technique again--no go. The first time I tried it a couple of days ago it worked. Now it doesn't. I made sure to heat it up really hot, no go.

Now, after a few (10-20) minutes, it seems to be working.

And now, 2 hours later, it's not. The decrease (-) button does the opposite a little bit, the increase (+) button turns off the fan, the max button does nothing. The only button that works is the on/off button.

What this tells me is that moisture is present in the controls. Unfortunately the only way to completely get rid of it is to open up the controls and allow the moisture to escape. As the unit is encased in plastic that is glued together the only way to do that is to use a dremel tool and carefully cut it open. Once opened you can use the hair dryer to warm it up to dissapate the moisture. You then reglue it with some plastic model glue and seal it. The wire harness will also need to be sealed. Remove the plastic zip tie and spray some sealant into it and put another wire tie on it.

There is a port at the front of the unit that the emitter sounds through. It also must be sealed. It may reduce the sound but will save the control.

Please do not heat it up too much. It can damage the controls. All you need to do is warm it, not get it to where it is uncomfortable to touch. Hopefully it isnt damaged already.

The only other option is to purchase another one and seal it before installing it.

Please click here to order one.

We now know what must be done to repair your unit. If you would please rate my service so that I may be compensated for answering your question I would appreciate it. I will be happy to continue working with you if needed.

Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**