Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a model ADEL70LRL1 dehumidifier, purchased a few days

Customer Question

I have a model ADEL70LRL1 dehumidifier, purchased a few days ago. I want it to work with a hose attachment to empty in my basement drain system. The only way the humidifier seems to work is when the water collects into the bucket. Very little if any water goes into the hose. I have switched hoses because there was a kink in the original one, but the replacement doesn't work either. I have checked the connection inside the appliance and it seems to be securely in place. I have removed the bucket several times and re-inserted it and the machine comes on, but still no water in the hose. When I removed the hose entirely, it works fine, collecting water into the bucket. The appliance is in my basement which has very steep stairs; I do not want to go up and down them several times a day to empty the bucket. Suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 4 years ago.

tom goellner :

If the bucket is not held in place securely it won't hold the switch in and possibly from having the hose attached it is pulling the bucket enough for this to happen . Try putting a brick in the bucket to add some weight so it stays in place

JACUSTOMER-5k2robgg- :

I had to leave shortly after I put the equivalent of a brick in the bucket as you suggested. I just arrived home and checked it and the bucket had a fair amount of water in it, but the hose was not discharging any water at all. Please suggest something else I can try or indicate that I need to return the dehumidifier to the store or call a service provider.

JACUSTOMER-5k2robgg- :

I had to leave shortly after I put the equivalent of a brick in the bucket as you suggested. I just arrived home and checked it and the bucket had a fair amount of water in it, but the hose was not discharging any water at all. Please suggest something else I can try or indicate that I need to return the dehumidifier to the store or call a service provider. I called your company number and they said that you would get back to me. No one has called or e-mailed me. Please respond!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since the weight (adding a brick as you suggested) did not fix my drainage to the hose problem, I disconnected the hose entirely and started over setting up the machine as if I had just opened the box. In the control section, I noted the information about continuous operation. This was not repeated in the instruction sections re how to use a hose to drain the appliance.

I used the down arrow to set to CO hoping that this will allow the drain to work. Then I attached a new hose. I will send you a reply after it runs for a while and I can determine if the CO setting was the problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have yet to receive an answer to the questions I asked in my reply (sent twice) I made sure that the continuous light was on and the water still collects in the bucket and does not go out the hose. The machine turns off when the bucket is full. Please reply.

Sorry , been away for a few days. Isn't the hose fitting directly above the bucket on the left ? With the hose not attached water drips out of this hose fitting INTO the bucket , with hose attached water drips out of this same fitting into the hose and not the bucket . I don't see any reason for it not to . With the hose attached where is the water going - into the bucket , on the floor ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is somehow going into the bucket; the bucket fills and shuts the machine off.

Take the bucket out and tape the switch so it is shut and watch what is happening to determine why the water is not going out the hose
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What switch are you referring to?

The bucket hits a switch on the wall behind it. It won't run if the bucket is no in place to contact it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It appears to be working now, although the output seems not as much compared to the collection in the bucket previously. I think the problem is with the hose connection inside the machine: the threads are difficult to engage and turning it will only allow a couple of rotations. Suggestions?

May require using two hose washers . There is virtually no pressure , so as long as it doesn't leak - hand tight should be sufficient.