Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Bosch Dishwasher model SHX5AL05UC/04 starts cycle but wont

Customer Question
Bosch Dishwasher model SHX5AL05UC/04...
Bosch Dishwasher model SHX5AL05UC/04 starts cycle but wont fill with water. Already checked voltage to fill valve. It doesnt give it power most of the time.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/10/2013
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you start a cycle and wait 5 minutes. Open the door and add enough water to cover the floor. Close the door and wait 5 more minutes. Open the door and did all the water drain out?

it wont even run for 5 minutes. it just says it is clean after like 2 minutes.

I tried putting water in it and it allways pumps it out first acts like it is trying to run a cleaning cycle and then it beeps and says clean.

Oh ok, perfect, now I know what your problem. That is a very common problem for these Bosch dishwashers. By the way, I just saw your name is Tyler. That happens to be my name also Smile.

Anyways, you have a bad main relay control board mounted under the tub on the right side. You'll need to pull the dishwasher out to gain access to replace the board. There is a 5 year warranty on Bosch control boards so if it's less than 5 years old, call Bosch and the board itself should be under warranty. If this unit is over 5 years old, you can order the part in the link below and the part itself is all plug and play so you could replace it yourself if you're handy.

CLICK HERE for control board

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

how do you know this based on only this amount of information? It will work about every 50 try's. when it does work i am getting voltage to the valve and water does go through it. How do we know that it is actually telling the valve to turn on and just not getting to the valve. Is the computer telling the relay to turn on but the relay contacts are just not connecting, sending voltage to the valve?

Because it's the ONLY thing that will start the dishwasher and then advance it to "CLEAN" within a few minutes. It's probably the most common failure I see on Bosch dishwashers.

I dont want to throw parts at it and hope it works. I am more than capable of diagnosing it properly with the right information. Thats what i need from you is the right diagnostic information. But if your convinced thats it then can you give me the number to bosch so i can order the part? Also are they just going to send one with no questions asked?

There is no way to test the board itself. That being said, that is why you are asking the professionals. I understand you're concern, but there is nothing else that causes this problem and sometimes experience is really what you need to relay on since you don't know for yourself exactly how this dishwasher works or how it commonly fails Yes, this part will definitely fix the problem---but it will need to be replaced and there is no way around that.

The thing about Bosch is that they will warranty out the part, but labor is only under a warranty for 1 year. They will still charge you a trip and labor to install the board if you call them to fix your unit. They will not send the part to you for free and have you install it because that would inherently void the warranty on the dishwasher. The point is, either way the repair will cost you $150 or so. The decision you need to make is whether you want to call Bosch and have them come out and install the part for you, or whether you want to just order the part and install it yourself.

Bosch's phone number is 1.800.944.2904 to schedule an appointment.

ok, i will order the part and install it. If it works i will get you paid. if not then we will have more work to do.

It will work if you replace the part correct, that is really not a concern.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

I ordered the part and expect it to be delivered soon. I will rate you when it is fixed.

Ok good luck!
I'm just following up again to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

I put in the new part and it does the same exact thing! I knew this would happen. Now what?

There is nothing else that controls power to the valve. So if you're sure it's not getting power all the time and it acts like it's running (not draining, but actually trying to wash all the time), then you have a broken wire between the control board and the valve that you'll need to track down. That could be difficult to find.

are you going to pay for the part that you had me throw at it. $139.27

There is no throwing parts at the problem. I'm sorry your dishwasher is having the issue it is, but I think it's time you call a technician out as you seem fairly upset.

You said ( and I quote) "Yes, this part will definitely fix the problem---" I asked you how to diagnose it. I told you I could diagnose it with the right information. I run a successful automotive repair shop, and I am very familiar with electronic control systems. I can run a multimeter. I wanted to properly diagnose the problem. I am not happy! Don't treat me like a idiot. So now what mister "professional"?

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
he told me to replace a part and it didnt fix my problem. He said "Yes, this part will definitely fix the problem---" and it didnt. I asked him to help me diagnose the problem. He just had me throw a part at it and hoped it would work. I want someone who is willing to help.
Sorry, but I an not help someone who doesn't trust me and doesn't treat me with respect. Nor will I sit here and be talked down to. I wish you the best of luck but I'll opt out and if someone else thinks they can help you, then they will.

Again, I'm sorry your problem isn't fixed, but we did tests and you determined you weren't getting power. Power comes directly from the control board. What more testing would you have liked to have done? As an automotive repair shop, I can assure you that you do not fix everything the first time and should know to buy parts from a place that allows returns. Have a nice day.

You well know that there is no returns on electronic parts. I want to know what tells the relay control board to activate the relay that turns on the power to the fill solenoid valve.

the control board tells the control board to turn the relay on. And I know that there ARE returns on electronic parts if you order from the right places like Repairclinic.com. Again, have a nice day.

If this didnt fix the problem then what else is there to diagnose?

Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 4 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! There is a float (number 0420/0421) that may be causing your unit not to fill if it is actuating the safety flood switch (number 0424). Any water seen under the machine in the base?

i can reach under the machine and manually activate the float switch with my finger and it turns on the pump.

Okay, so we can rule that out, thank you. Are you able to get to the outputs on the board for the water valve to test the power to the valve at the board before the wiring harness?

yes. i will be back in 10 minutes with a voltmeter

Great! I am wondering if the voltage is making it out of the board but not through to the valve for some reason.

ok so i will turn it on and test for 110v on the wires going to the valve right at the control board, correct?

That is correct. Let me know what, if any, voltage you read there, please.

can you just call me? XXX-XXX-XXXX

I am so sorry, we are only allowed to communicate through this thread. I know it is a bit of a pain but is the only option, sorry.

well i tested it and it isn't getting any voltage from the control board

Okay, and you had started the cycle? Is the motor running or anything at all?

yeah it first pumps any water that is in it out. then it sounds like it is trying to run the sprayers, then it quits working and beapes and the lights on top say clean and check rinse agent.

Okay, are the lights flashing or staying lit? If flashing, how many flashes between pauses?

lights are solid

Okay, one thing we may have overlooked. Have you inspected the area below the filter for any debris that may be blocking the impellers from turning? This machine will not fill if the "pre cycle checks" do not pass. They don't want the tub to fill with water if it cannot pump out.

first the pump runs to pump out the water. then the sprayer pump runs for about 15 seconds. then it turns off and the evacuation pump runs for like a munute and then it beeps and says it's done. I felt both pumps run with my hand. I just manually messed with the float switch from underneath the unit and then powered it off and powered it back on and the stupid thing filled up and is working fine.

I bet that float switch has intermittent contacts in it or the float rod is hanging up. For the cost of the switch, I would replace it. I believe you have determined what the issue is, very well done, my friend! If you ordered that board from Repair Clinic through the link Tyler sent you, it can be returned, even after being installed. That switch is available below.

Switch <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

i will not just throw another part at it. i am going to take the switch out and test the resistance through the contacts. i bought the part from amazon.com and i dont know the return policy yet. I will let you know what happens. it's working now so I put some dishes in it while it's working.

Great idea! I totally understand and had the switch been more, I would not recommend replacing it, but at least you know where the trouble lies. So, that being the only electrical part associated with the float system, if the mechanical part is smooth, it is likely to be the faulty component. I am happy we were able to get to the cause, now to get to the definite solution! Let me know what you find with the switch!

I haven't had a chance to test the float switch,, but i will tonight. I will let you know what i find.

That is no problem at all, just reply when you are able. Have you been able to get a load or two out of the machine?

No just that one load that I told you about. I tried it again and it didnt work.

Bummer, okay. Have a great day!

i tested continuity of the switch and it is fine. Pin 1&3 are connected and then when the switch is activated Pin's 1&2 are connected, so I have another problem. Any idea's?

How is the movement of the rod? Are the switch terminals discolored at all, like maybe cutting out with a load applied? It would be unlikely with such a small current but it is odd that manipulating the switch made it work. How about the wires, do they look to be in good shape?

the rod moves fine. the connections look fine. I will put the switch back in and test the operation at the control board. I am pretty sure it was just a coincidence that it worked that one time, because i have messed with that switch many other times and it didn't work.

It very well could be coincidental. What happens at the start of the cycle is the control looks for input indicating any trouble, like the lack of a pump running, a message from the flood switch saying there is water in the base, or a closed circuit from the door switch. If all appears good to the control, it will initiate a timed fill, applying voltage to the valve. There is a flow rate washer in the valve to regulate the water pressure, so the control can time the fill and should have the same amount of water for each fill. Let's see if the voltage is making it out of the control at the start of a cycle.

i tested the switch operation at the control board and it works fine.

Okay, so the issue is with the wiring from the control to the water valve. Can you test at various points along the way and see where the voltage is dropping?

I already tested and it is not coming out of the control. It's like it is not telling it to fill.

Oh okay, I am sorry, I misunderstood you. So the control is not filling but the switch tests good when tested by itself?

i tested the switch at the control board. it works fine. It has less than 5 ohms resistance on both ways the switch functions.

Hmmm, this is really odd. That switch is all that would prevent the control from energizing the valve. To get a bad new board with the same problem is almost unheard of, so there has to be an issue with the wiring because the control, flood switch and valve are the only things in that circuit.

i appreciate your help with this. I am trying to work on it in the evening after work. Thats why it takes me a while to get back to you. I will test continuity on all wires to and from the switch, and water valve tonight.

I am just sorry it has turned into such a pain in the rear. I have a really good Bosch dishwasher training manual if you think it would help you. It is not model specific, but the basics are all the same. I can send you a download link, if you'd like.

sounds good

Please let me know that it downloads properly for you.

CLICK HERE
Check out page 91, there is another set of switches there in the fill assembly.

i got it

Great! Let me know what you find with the fill system on page 91, that may be the culprit.

Can you send me that link again. I tried to download it at home and it said the link was expired or something. Thank you for all your help!

Of course! Please let me know once it downloads for you!

CLICK HERE
Kelly, Appliance Technician