Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Is it safe to leave a portable fan plugged in on a low setting

Is it safe to leave a portable fan plugged in on a low setting during the day when I am not home? Our AC is not running well, and I have a dog at home. I want to be able to leave the fan plugged in and running when I am at work.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! A fan is a very low current appliance, so it should be just fine. As long as nothing nearby can get in the blades, you should have no problem. They only draw around 100 watts of power, about that same as a 100 watt light bulb.

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The plug is no where close to anything else. Nothing else is plugged into that socket as well. I am just nervous about leaving it plugged in while I have a dog at home. Its definitely safe? Its a NanoBreeze fan, its a larger fan, but I am leaving it on low or medium.

I would have no issue leaving it plugged in and running. Your refrigerator draws up to ten times the power. If your wiring in your walls is good and your breaker box is operating well, you will have no trouble.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I honestly have no idea about the wiring and breaker box-- i live in an apartment building in manhattan

If you had issues with the breaker or wiring, you would have been experiencing problems with high current draw appliances, like the refrigerator, washer and dryer, range, etc. The fan draws so little power, it will be fine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you!

You are very wlecome. Have a great evening!