Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

We have a GE electric range model:JSP28GN. After replacing

We have a GE electric range model:JSP28GN. After replacing the front panel, the door keeps locking and the panel displays "F3".
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Hi can you give me a moment to look up that model number please.
Ok Jamie, the error means the oven temp has got to high, likely because the oven sensor shorted or something on the control board came loose, Pull the unit out from the wall, trace the oven sensor up to the control board, disconnect the sensor from the control board then test it with a ohm meter, it should read 1080 ohms or close at room temp, if the sensor does not read on or close to that mark then it's bad and will need to be replaced.

If the sensor reads on or near that mark then the control board shorted some how, in this case it will need to be replaced.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike, I can trace the oven sensor up to the control board if I know what it looks like and where it connects to the control board.

What does the wire look like?

Jaime

The oven sensor looks like this.

graphic

Pull the unit out from the wall, remove the upper panel behind the control panel and the lower panel, you will see the wires hooked up to the rear of the sensor at the back of the oven.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mike,

It doesn't make sense that I would pull the unit out from the wall and do anything back there. I replaced the front panel and did not touch the back panel or pull the unit out at all.

Does the temp sensor wire fit into connector for the knob on the front control panel that controls the temp? That would make sense to me...

Am I on the right track here?

Jaime

It could be that you shorted something when replacing the front panel causing the control to suffer a fatal error, the control is giving you a sensor error which could be because a wire came loose or the control is bad, by confirming the sensor is good and plugged in correctly you are eliminating it and getting some proof that the control is bad.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Mike.

Good help.

Jaime

Thank you for the positive rating. It was my pleasure helping you today. Please get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions :)