Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I am house sitting for son in law & daughter. GE profile side

I am house sitting for son in law & daughter. GE profile side by side frig with water filter on top is leaking like crazy & running down to wood floors. Help! There is what appears to be an on off switch to the side of this water filter but am afraid to turn off as it would shut off entire frig. Will changing out filter take care of problem?
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Pull the unit out from the wall, there is normally a shut off valve there or under the sink, If worse comes to worse bend the water line over in the rear to stop the water running, You could try a new filter since this is your likely problem but it also could be a crack in the water filter receptacle.

First work on shutting the water off to the unit then purchase a filter from home depot or lowes.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The frig is apparently built in & I can't pull it out of cabinet as I figured this was my first step! Should I shut it off temporarily & pick up filter ASAP? Was unaware that the filter would leak like that!
Ok that makes it more awkward, Yes I would shut off the water supply to the filter if it has a shut off beside it, If not if the house has a basement the shut off will be below the unit in the basement, if not the shut off will be under the sink if located near a sink.

The valve will be located behind the panel above the doors, this is where another shut off for the water line will be located, if you can somehow get the water shut off then go get a filter you should be all set.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Was unable to shut off water but was able to replace the water filter & fix the problem! Certainly hope that doesn't happen every time they have to replace the filter! Could have been a lot worse if I hadn't been here! Thank you!
Your welcome :)
Hi Pamela,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Everything worked out finr. Thanks!
Great Pamela :)