Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

kids tried to use washing machine, now it lights up but wont

kids tried to use washing machine, now it lights up but won't engage any function. No error codes, attempted to run diagnostic to no avail. any ideas
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Try hitting and holding the end cycle button for 5-10 seconds or until the control unlocks.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

nothing, I hear it click, like it wants to do something but nothing. Is there a reset button

No unfortunately not, if the control is not locked and the machine will not go into the diagnostic program then the control board is bad I'm afraid.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, so i turned off power. Turned on power, selected no spin. Pressed the rinse/hold button four times, it clicked but it didn't do anything. All the lights work, and when I press the start button, I hear a click as if its trying to do something, and your telling me the board is bad?

If you are hearing a click then a relay is not making contact, Whirlpool say in the service manual that if you try to put the machine in the diagnostic program and it wont enter the program then the control board is bad. I can only go from what you are telling me, The fact the machine is not control locked and it wont enter the service program means the control board is bad.

If you can get the unit to go into the diagnostic program then it likely another problem.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It doesn't go into diagnostic mode. just beeps when i depress the rinse/hold button four times. it displays only the 0:02. It clicks after that when i simply press the start button.

Ok then the problem is with the control board.

Sorry it's not better news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Lol, ok. that was a waste of time and money. So i guess its not worth putting in a new board in machine that is 10-11 years old right? Have a great 4th, thanks for your help.

I'm sorry it is what it is, I didnt break your machine I can only tell you how it can be fixed.

Sorry for the bad news.

Happy 4th

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i know, but is it worth replacing the board in a machine that is 10-11 years old? If i need a new machine, any recommendations? Low problems. Thx.

The control board is going to cost around $150 and is fairly simple to replace, If the machine is in good shape I would fix it, If the machine is in bad shape then i'd replace it especially if it has been well used.

If you are looking for a top load then I would recommend the whirlpools, if you are going with a front load again then the LG's are fairly reliable.

Thanks!

Mike.