Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

jenn air not cooling properly. model number js48ppfxda. no

jenn air not cooling properly. model number js48ppfxda. no frost build up, compressor is running and hot to the touch. Please help
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you tell me if the fan next to the compressor is running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes fan blowing next to compressor and coil is blowing

Ok do you hear a faint clicking or buzzing noise every so often?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no seems to be buzzing think it is the compressor running

Ok sounds like the start relay is bad or the compressor, The way to find out is to remove the small cover off the side of the compressor (if it has one) pull the relay off the side of the compressor, Disconnect the wires and then give the relay a shake, if it rattles like it has small pieces inside it then it's bad and will need to be replaced.

If the relay does not rattle then the compressor is bad, in this case you would need to hire a qualified tech to replace the compressor and recharge the system with refrigerant.

Don't forget to pull the power cord first Trevor.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i can not seem to get the side cover off of the compressor.

It's normally held on with a wire retainer, You would need to lever the wire with a screw driver then pull the cover off.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

got the cover off the side of the compressor and no relay there just a plug. i have a 48" built in (js48ppfxda) where is the start relay located for this model

Ok in that case the unit does not have a relay it has a board that controls the compressor.

Click here to order the board

This is in the same location of the compressor.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

since the fridge is norm 48 degrees and freezer is 40 would you think its the board over the compressor its self??

If the fridge is running at the correct temp and the freezer warmer then it should be id have to say in this case the problem is with the sensor in the freezer. I'm sorry for the confusion but up until your last post I did not know this was a built in. The sensor will look like the picture below.

graphic

This would normally be located in the rear inside the freezer behind the panel.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok both compartments are warm. on my model the things in the freezer are on top. I have taken that apart before to replace the fan. Is the sensor the thermostat?? any way to bypass to see if that is the issue???

If both compartments are warm then the sensor is not going to be the problem. If both compartments are warm and the compressor is extremely hot to the touch then your compressor board is out as I first diagnosed.

Thanks!

Mike.

Hi Trevor,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I replaced the board and still not cooling properly. what is next, compressor?? any idea on rough estimate repair?? Jenn-air 48" built in

If that didn't fix the issue then as I said the compressor would be the problem, it would cost around $800 to replace the compressor and recharge the system.