Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

my freezer was left open for 4 hour then it was running 24/7.

So we defrosted it for...
my freezer was left open for 4 hour then it was running 24/7. So we defrosted it for 3 days and the restarted it at mid range temperatures. It is still running often even without opening it much. I even recleaned the coils fins. I noticed when iwas on my knees that the compressor was very hot. What should I do to have the refrig run more efficiently and not consistently.
7/2/2013
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..do you have a model number ? is this a frost free model or a manual defrost unit? how old is the freezer ? and also is there a fan beside the compressor ? sorry about all the questions ,thx randy

Customer:

the model # XXXXX XXXXX I'm not sure is is frost free or manual. This unit is about 8 or 10 years old. Their is a fan next to the compressor.

Randy 43 :

ok, thx and the fan is running when the compressor is on?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

Actually the fan was running but I don't know if the compressor is on or not how do you know?

Randy 43 :

this is a reg freezer /fridge according to model number? inside the freezer section at the rear panel half way down ,do you see any frost building up ? and can you also hear a different fan running in the freezer section?

Customer:

I don't see any frost building up but their is a fan running at the half way point in the freezer.

Randy 43 :

so all the fans and compressor are running ,how are the temps? in the freezer and the fridge ?

Customer:

in the freezer I set it at zero and ice packs are frozen. I the refrig the temp is at 33 and the beer is not as cold as I want it.

Randy 43 :

33 is pretty cold for a fridge , they are normally 37-38

Randy 43 :

is it hot where you live ?

Customer:

Temperature here is 84 to 89 and humid

Randy 43 :

everything mechanical is running when it is supposed both fans and compressor , temps dont seem out of range , but a older a fridge gets the less efficient it gets . fridges do work harder in the summer when it is hot and humid , unless you want to get into expensive compressor repairs ,which can run $600-$700 or more ? if you have a amp meter? the amperage on a compressor that is working efficient is around 1 amp or so ,if a fan wasnt running it would cause everything to work harder , but if both are ? then its just a case of surrounding temps and age of fridge

Customer:

What do you mean by expensive compressor repair? Could there be a problem with the compressor if so could you expand on your generalization of the compressors and its problems and the costs involved to repair it..

Randy 43 :

compressors work and draw amperage .that is how you check them ,with a amp meter and see how much amerage they are drawing , 1 amp is good but anything above 1.5 -2 or above the compressor is working harder to do the same job maintaining temperature ,that fan by the compressor is there to cool the freon down as well as the compressor , to change a compressor reqs specialized equipment , it would need to be welded in , and the freon recharged , this all reqs refrigeration equipment and freon,that is why it is expensive ..

Randy 43 :

in those conditions ,89 and humid a fridge will always work harder

Randy 43 :

most fridges that are on their last legs go in the summer , not saying yours it at that stage ,but a bit more running and hotter can be expected

Customer:

So it sound like the refrig/freezer is old and summer is making it run harder to keep temperatures cold. okay thanks for the information,

Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Randy 43
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician