Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

i have a rb215labp/xaa and i have replaced compressor and motherboard.

i have a rb215labp/xaa and i have replaced compressor and motherboard. cools and freezes but never stops running..does stay at same temp.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a thermometer that can test the temperature inside the freezer and refrigerator? If the unit is running all the time then is it getting too cold inside either side?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no but i had food in it for 2 days and everything was frozen and cold up top.

You're going to need to get a separate thermostat before you can diagnose anything and put it inside the refrigerator and the freezer for 24 hours to see if the temperature is accurate, too warm, or too cold. Then you can post back here and let me know what you find. Until then, you're really just shooting in the dark.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok. do i just leave this page on till then

You can bookmark or save the page as your favorite and come back if you wanted to close the page.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

cool...thanks

no problem, and talk to you later.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i put thermometer inside and it holding temp. it shut off one time this morning when i went to work but has been running since i got home two hours ago.

Is that inside the refrigerator or the freezer? You really need to check both sections. And I need sort of an exact temperature please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i will test freezer should only take a few min. fridge is holding 38 freezer says -2 but ill get back in min for sure.

OK, just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my thermometer wouldn't go that low.

How low is "that low"? What does it stop at?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

digital says ll...i took off upper fan assembly lots of ice...but fan works freezer should be at -2

OK perfect. Is the ice build up on the silver coils below the fan? And is the ice covering all the silver coils from top to bottom?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

mostly top just white below

OK so it sounds like you've had a defrost problem in the past or possibly the door was left open for a really long time and too much frost built up and then went through the defrost cycle like normal, but it might be fixed now since the ice is mostly at the top. Just use a hair dryer and thaw all the ice and frost build up on the silver coils. This will allow the air to circulate properly so the unit should cool down better and not run as much in order to get it to the correct temperature.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no has been off for two weeks.. i think it is the temp sensor..i plugged it in yesterday when i started talking to you..holds temp and not frozen over just won't shut off.

So you can replace the temp sensor, but if the temp sensor was bad, the freezer would be TOO cold. Since you can't measure the temperature there is really no way to know for certain. But if everything was working normally and it's just not shutting off, that would mean something is getting too cold because the unit is continuing to cool past the point that it should shut off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it has never worked properly got off craigslist and replased motherboard and compressor

It seems to be cooling fine so I'm not convinced that there is definitely a problem. These new refrigerators do run a lot, but that doesn't mean that are inefficient. They draw less power than other refrigerators by a long shot. Either way, if there is an issue with the defrost or temperature sensor, then it'll show up after a few days of running the refrigerator by either the refrigerator or the freezer warming up or getting too cold. If it runs without any temperature issues for over a week or two, there is no problem.