Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I just purchased a LG 24.7 cu. ft. French door model Flx25974St

I just purchased a LG 24.7 cu. ft. French door model Flx25974St Refrigerator which will be delivered Monday. I have just learned that many people have had trouble with these units.
Should I purchase the insurance? Are these refrigerators poor quality and unreliable.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The newer versions of these French door refrigerators are much more reliable than the older LG refrigerators, but the main control board does tend to short out, so I would either get the extended warranty or at the very least put a surge protector on this refrigerator to hopefully stop the control board for shorting out from power fluctuations.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what would you do personally

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
I'm not really sure the extended warranties are worth the cost because most of the time they fail just after 4 years or so. But it's a different decision for me since I can fix my own appliances if needed. If you live in a city where service is easy to get and you don't have to wait a week or two to get the unit fixed, then I might just get a surge protector and you should be fine.