Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Type your question here. I have a 2010 Whirlpool 29 cu ft.

Type your question here. I have...
Type your question here.
I have a 2010 Whirlpool 29 cu ft. side by side refrigeator/Freezer..the technician I talked to said
the control module is bad. Is that the small board or the main board at the back of the fridge
7/1/2013
kingmz
kingmz, Home Appliance Technician

kingmz :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I understand it you have a bad icemaker, and where in particular is the humidity located?

Customer:

Its a problem with the freezer itself (not the ice maker); the technician I talked too said that the control module for the freezer was bad & was $400, so they ere goping to scrap it out, I bought it since its new 2010 & was hoping on fixing it. The freezer does wok but not properly, its not going through the right cycling, I checked the evaporator & it was covered in frosty ice, also their is allot of humidity in the entire freezer. The icemaker will not work because the freezer does not freeze properly, this is very tough to figure out because it has a cicuit board for the ice maker, which currently is not working, their are two control boards at the back right side of the refrigerator, one large & one small board...is the problem in one of these circuit boards.

Customer:

Also if the so calld technician, says he control module is bad (and the way I understand it the refrigerator & freezer work entirely seperate fom each other as the fridge does work properly), then where is the control module located for the freezer; I have checked the evaporator fan motor (there is a circuit board in the fan motor too), the fan works, so now e have 4 visible circuit boards, one for the evaporator fan motor, one for the ice maker, & 2 seperate boards at the back of the refrigerator. I checked the thermostat when it was not powerd up & wa2s out of the freezer it reads open continuity, like I said earlier the circuit board (and I have 2 that are idenical) both will not light on for the ice maker & its easy to tell it fh freezer is not working properly by all the water on shelfs, on he icemaker cover plates, its very high huimidity. I'm really hoping this is one of the two circuit boards behinf the fridge, I hope I did not make a bad investment on this super nice looking refrigerator/freezer. Also I have never heard of a conrol module, please help

Customer:

Sorry about all the typos, its late & I'm very tired...I no this can be figuerd out; not being very knowlegable at refridgeration makes a not even novice person as I am lost in space, I now how complex refridgeration is, this is a side business for me, I'm an electrician, its tough too.

kingmz :

Okay, can I have the model number please, it will be on a sticker with the model and serial number. And you said there is frost on the evap coil in the freezer, is there an even frost pattern throughout the coil? A normal frost pattern would be thin enough to see the coil, if there is too much frost you won't see the coil and the ice will be really thick.

Customer:

The model # XXXXX XXXXX; I just took th temprature with a infared thermometer, the freezer is reading more than 20 below zero, it is set at 5 below zero, the refrigerator is reading 18 degrees, it is set at 32. There is a diffenent issue here, also the evaporator is 1/2 way covered in frost & there is ice on the ice maker coverplate; the unit never shuts down, I let it run overnight & now I turned it off.

kingmz :

I have the entire book on this unit, I am currently going through it to find out what could cause it to be that cold. There are a couple boards in this unit, bare with me.

kingmz :

It appears the dispenser board controls the cooling as well as dispensing of this unit, I went through various sites that sell this board and I found the cheapest here, http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-cntrl-elec-w10254278-ap4554584.html

The benefit of ordering from this site is that you can return the item even if you use it (if its not the correct part). Keep in mind there is a core charge on this part which means you have to return the old part (wait until you install the board to see if it works then return the old board).

There are two boards in the back of the unit, one is the power board and the other is the main PCB. If the dispenser board isn't the problem then the issue is the main PCB. I do have the diagnosis that we can go through and narrow some things down but I will need you to stay online.

Also this question is highly under priced and I will mark it as such.

Customer:

You will be compensated, I wouldn't throw a comment out there till you no me, I'm not just some flake thats trying to scam info out of you; I work 3 jobs & always help out people; anyway you tell me a time tomorrow (early aftrnoon preferably) & I will stay on line till we figure this out.

Customer:

I had to make a statement about what you said, because I take customer service very seriously because thats all I do, I have never said, something as rude as what you just did; so if you want another technician to help me out, so be it. Thinking I am cheap, when you don't no who I am is rediculous & obsurd...so I would think about it before you spout off again, that really ticked me off thinking I'm cheap, far from it dude!...now that I let you no how I feel...if you want redemption & compensation, then lets figue this out, if not pass it on to someone who is more professional & respects a hardworking person as myself. Make it 1pm tomorrow, if your not on line I'll contact customer service about you, how rude your comment was & I've got more experience in other fields as I am a master electrician & a master home inspector & I've built homes & commercial buildings, so your not talking to some punk, I'm busy! b Just because I'm novice in refrigeration, does mean I'm not an expert in way more fields than you are, so grow up! You mark what ever you fel like I did not no about adding pricing, just because you have to do extra work, you have to comment to me as such! Do your job & quit your crying, in my state they call it man up & from the looks of your photo, you need to! Maybe you better just pass this one on, its pretty difficult for your brain as I can see, I already no how many boards are in the unit, I need an expert to tell me which one it is, not buy one & hope it works, now get busy & figue it out!

kingmz :

I am sorry you are easily offended. The average refrigeration question is between $15-20, it is undervalued because of that. I don't know why you took it personal, I wrote nothing for you to think that. Also to go as far as insulting me "based on my picture" who is the one that needs to grow up? I will gladly opt out and let another tech say exactly what I said. Also, you had a tech go out there and diagnosis it incorrectly, I am on a computer looking at tech sheets and blow out charts, $7.50 is not enough for my time. I make $129 an hour with my business that I own, so spending 30 minutes for $7.50 is considered undervalued. Have a good day sir.

Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see the last Expert has opted out .

under my belt.
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 32 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs under my belt.

Your issue is with the Main control ,Whirlpool calls it the Gemini Control it is what control the operation of the cooling and defrost systems.

The stealth board only controls the dispenser functions.

And the Emitter and receiver control the ice level on the freezer door.

CLICK HERE for the gemini control board .

It is very easy to replace it is just a plug and play type control .

I hate to disagree with you Woody, I have the exact book for this unit and this is taken from that book. It would be impossible to determine without further testing that board you are describing is the issue.

As I stated before we where interrupted the Main Gemini control controls all cooling and defrost functions .

The last expert seems to think it was the Dispenser control / Stealth control board and the only thing it does is control the dispenser functions .

I can fverify this if you need a technical data sheet your models should be on the back side of the bottom kick plate if you are able to read the wire diagram it is clearly the issue , not the Display control .

Master Tech
Master Tech
Master Tech