Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I am wanting to determine whether my frig. can be repaired.

I would rather repair than...
I am wanting to determine whether my frig. can be repaired. I would rather repair than replace as the newer models look cheaply made. My Kenmore (GE) top freezer refrigerator is cooling perfectly but 2 1/2 wks ago started making a rattling sound when it is running. When I push on the black box next to compressor that dulls the rattle and sometimes when I gently rock the frig from the front side while the motor is not running then the next time it comes on it does not rattle for hours or a day. Some days it won't rattle at all. I disconnected the fan harness til it stopped and that did not stop the rattle. I press down on the compressor in different directions with no change except when I push toward the black box next to it. The black box and what is in it is my best guess but?? I'm reading online that if it is the compressor dieing that the temp should be warming so then I am wanting to check the other possibilities~relay?, capacitor? and any other suggestions you may have. I put the model #363.9762815 in on your website but nothing came up. Maybe there are universal parts for it? I should mention that 8yrs ago the frig started making a clunk sound when the motor would cut off but that was the only unusual sound and I was told that a spring that holds the compressor motor down inside the tank must have broke but that it wouldn't affect the cooling. Now that the frig. rattles while running it doesn't not usually clunk or if so not very loud when motor shuts off (in case this info helps you). If frig. is repairable do you sell parts for this and as long as it is not the compressor, what tools would be needed to do this. I am moderately handy with screwdriver and simple tools. Thanks, C
6/26/2013
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..

Randy 43 :

inside that box is the relay and overload ,they power up the compressor , do you have a amp meter ? to check how much power the compressor is drawing ?

Customer:

I am checking with someone that I may be able to borrow an amp meter from. Waiting to get a return call. Not sure if I will hear back today.

Randy 43 :

If you are sure the problem stems from the relay/overload box ? that is something you can change ,the cover snaps off and the relay and overload just pushes onto the 3 pins of the compressor , then the cover pushes on the same way and snaps in ,if you want to see if your compressor is overworking ? you put the amp meter around the coloured wire and read the amps a good compressor runs around 1 amp plus or minus 15% ..if the compressor is in the 1.8 -or above it is higher than normal and is working harder than normal

Randy 43 :

Relay and Overload Kit - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

white is the overload black the relay

Customer:

Randy 43, I'm new to this Just Answer and did not expect such speedy responses so went on to do other things. I am not sure that the problem is the relay/overload but pressing on it's box changes the rattle sound so wanted to know if there is a way to check it since I hear that part is not expensive to replace. Thank you for your suggestion. I am still waiting to hear back from a neighbor to borrow amp meter. Maybe tomorrow. Can we keep the chat alive until I get that checked? I'm wondering if there is any other part like the capacitor that could cause this problem and be checked with the amp meter or some other way if the relay current checks out good? Also, I think the compressor runs longer when there is the rattle than when there is no rattle sound. Thanks.

Customer:

hello, I'm here now.

Randy 43 :

the relay and overload as well as the capacitor generally dont make any sounds , it is usually one of the lines from the compressor ,compressor runs and vibrates ,if you put your hand on some of the copper lines and find the same thing ? you can slightly bend the copper , if you are pressing the black box it can be causing something else to move and not rattle , i havent really run across the relay'overload/capacitor causing a rattle

Randy 43 :

it may be a loose spring inside the compressor ? but in that case it would need a new compressor which you already know

Customer:

Ok. I wondered whether relay overload or capacitor not supplying the compressor with correct current might cause the compressor motor to rattle and if one of those were replace the rattle might stop? Maybe just wishful thinking? I found out that the person I might borrow amp meter from is not available tonight. So will check tomorrow. Thank you.

Randy 43 :

ok , if the compressor is drawing those amps ,around 1 or just or below that .then the compressor is working within range , if the compressor gets too hot the overload would kick out the power to the compressor

Randy 43 :

just because i havent seen it before doesnt mean it cant happen, there may be a loose contact inside the relay or overload and the vibration of the compressor is amplifying the sound

Randy 43 :

you can pull those parts off the compressor after unplugging and shake them ,see if any rattling ? you wouldnt need to disconnect any wires ,just the black cover

Customer:

Thanks. Will work on this tomorrow.

Randy 43 :

ok ,talk to you later

Customer:

Randy 43, Someone tested the amps to compressor this evening and it was 1.25. He thought the compressor felt very hot. I forgot to get him to take the black cover off. I may do that tomorrow b4 going shopping for a new refrig. I have too much else going on and the rattling is rattling me after 3wks of it. The new frigs under $1000. look so cheap inside but I'l adjust. Thank you for your help. I tried to submit a rating this morning but it did say that the chat would end if I did. I hope the delay has not caused you any problem or reduction in credit. If so let me know if I can speak up for you on that.

Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Randy 43
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician