Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I need to replace a control panel on a jfc2089hes Jenn-Air.

I can't find the clips...
I need to replace a control panel on a jfc2089hes Jenn-Air. I can't find the clips to release open the compartment where the control panel is located
6/24/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is a bit hard to describe which is why I have an image below. Part 2 is actually the entire part that pulls off to access the control panel.

graphic

That entire white plastic housing which has the lights installed as well as the control board and control panel on it will need to be removed. To do this, you need to slide a putty knife into the crease between part 2 and the ceiling of the refrigerator. There are abou 15 plastic clips all the way around this part that you need to pry next to to unclip it from the ceiling. Just start on one side and work your way around.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

This is the same diagram I saw on the Sears part website, but it doesn't match my 'frig. The gaps around the control panel are vertical so you can't slide a putty knife horizontal to the top of the frig.

I can't insert a picture - there's a problem with the site

Regardless of the diagram, you certainly can slide a small putty knife into the seams. I do this for a living, and this is a very common task that we need to do as technicians because this display board commonly fails. You're going to need to find something that you can slide into the gap and pry down on because there is no other way to pull that entire panel down. If you just can't seem to do it, then you'll need to call a technician out.

Definitely trust you expertise. I'll try again. Just pointing out that this diagram doesn't match my frig. Even the control panel is a different shape. Here I go

Alright, good luck.

So this model has a clip on the left and right. They are clip inwards and there are holes that I could have put a screwdriver in and pushed towards that side of the frig to release. There are definitely not 15 clips. I've forced the right and left, but now I can't get the back to release. The back has a post that extends down. Got any ideas?

What part are you trying to remove right now? Part 4 or part 2? Because you need to remove the entire part 2 with light fixture and everything, not just the display panel.

Aside from that, remove the screw going into the clear plastic light cover and remove the light cover. Then you can pry on the back to remove the back.

I'm still trying to remove part 2. There aren't 15 clips. I've found on on the left and one on the right. There's a post in the back and evidently some clips back there but I can't release them. I can't upload a photo to this site so here's a link to a photo on Google Docs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9jcQw7v2VLhN1d6QmF2TExGV0k/edit?usp=sharing

You're not prying correctly. You're looking for a differentanswer I can see but there just isn't one. You need to pry from the back and unclip the entire assembly. Pry where I've drawn the arrows. Again, if you can't do this then you need to call a technician out. There is no alternate way.graphic

I got the Control Panel off. I did so by unscrewing the french door flap thing, then I was able to use your technique to detach the 4 clips in the front. There are no clips at the indention points you referenced. At the back are two larger protrusions that aren't meant to be unclipped.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9jcQw7v2VLhbUEtcE1fNUJTRlU/edit?usp=sharing

Now I just gotta get this thing open

I suppose there is more than one way to skin a cat sometimes, but I'm glad you got it all off. Now to separate the control panel from that assembly, there are 2 clips on the back of the control panel that you depress and that should help pull it off.

Got it replaced. Unfortunately it didn't fix my problem. The control pad is still unresponsive. Do you think that I'll need to replace that part?

I'm sorry to hear that. But yes, if the touch buttons itself aren't responsive, make sure you're ribbon cable from the touch control panel is securely connected to the display board. If everything looks good, you'll need part number 67005445. It's a sticker basically and for that you just use a knife and peel it off of the front of the control board. You'll still need to get inside the control panel to plug the ribbon cable into the board.

OK, thanks for your help. I'll provide a positive rating.

Alright, I'm sorry the problem is not fixed but it sounds like you have a handle on how to complete the repair now.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc