Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

have a whirpool french door gold model fridge that leaks water

on the right side intermittantly...
have a whirpool french door gold model fridge that leaks water on the right side intermittantly. have done the normal cleaning of drain at freezer but to no avail.
it now appears that there is a water leak somewhere between the back where the line goes in up to and around the filter.
6/24/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today can you get us the full model number so we can better assist you?

it is # XXXXX

I'm sorry can you recheck that ? its not comming up. never mind I think I found it. GI6SARXXF02

the 1 is a I, so try gi6sarxxf02

ok.............

I found it, Alright these are a pain. you will need to replace the water tank assembly, they get really small cracks in the tubes and where they go together, the tank assembly is part number 18 on this diagram and its all one piece right up to the filter head. check the connector at the bottom before replacing this.

graphic

What exactly do you mean by a pain? How do I get to it and are ther any specailty tools needed?

But first, how do I verify that this is the cause, can I see it?

well I meant its a pain to see the leak, you need to take all you shelves and drawers out and this is on the back wall. theres no special tools its just a pain in the neck to get to. removing everything makes it a lot easier. once you get everything out of the way you can get a better look at it. theres nothing else in the refrigerator section that carries water..

Sounds like this is a common problem?

Is there a temp fix until I can get the part?

its is a common problem. shut the water off to the refrigerator is the only way to stop it until you can fix it. Although you may still have some water drip from the tank since it has water in it but its worse under pressure, It may not leak at all with the water off. Be aware that when you shut the water off this will not make ice so its best to shut the ice maker off. thanks and have a great night , Bryan

I checked the water tank and it does not appear to be leaking and if it did the water looks as if it would end up in the bottom of the fridge box.

this water is in the refrigerator section and not the freezer correct ?

Neither, the water ends up on the right side of the floor under the fridge. The drain into the pan is working, and water does collect in the pan and the evaporator fan does come on. I don't know this models history, but does the evap. plastic pan develop cracks? What else could it be?

the evaporator pans in these are fairly beefy although they have been known to leak. and the pan is on the right side. I'm sorry I seem to have misunderstood where the water was forgive me. open the freezer and look on the bottom is there a sheet of ice on the freezer floor ?

No, there is no ice build up anywhere including the evaporator coils.

okay . if theres no water inside the freezer or the refrigerator section we are down to the pan obviously. if you see water in the pan that means the tube is in the right place over the pan and the water isn't comming from that. the pan could be leaking its possible its cracked , theres a lot of heat under there and these can crack from that. luckily this one can be replaced and is available. heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pan/W10296785/1875575?RCAID=1000065 its $47.00, now heres a diagram its number 8. I don't see anything else on the right side that could leak, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
I was wondering is you recieved my reply ? I see this question is still open and not accepted, Is there something more I can help you with ? If so please ask. If you are all set please rate me 3 or above so I will get credit for helping you, Thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Good day ! This is a courtesy follow up, All of us at Just Answer hope your experience was a positive one ! Just Answer prides itself on doing it's very best to help our customer's resolve their problems. If your expert has helped you and your satisfied please don't forget that the expert is working for you and only gets paid if you rate them 3 or above on our rating scale. Rating the expert does not close the question and they are always available for follow ups at no additional charge ! If you feel your expert has done all he or she could to resolve your problem then please remember to rate them, This is as important to them as it is to you , Showing good faith by rating them also makes other experts want to help you in the future no matter what the category. Thank you and we hope you will continue to let us help you in the future. It has been our pleasure.

Thanks for the help, it pointed me in the right direction.

Your very welcome, have a great weekend and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician