Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

The cooktop light on my whirlpool microwave is out...replaced

bulb however when removing the...
The cooktop light on my whirlpool microwave is out...replaced bulb however when removing the bulb the base and the bulb were separated. This trip the circuit breaker at the service panel. Could this damage the circuit board? every thing else seems to be working
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/23/2013
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

When you reset the breaker, did everything else come back on?

Did you test all the functions?

Yes to both

Then no harm was done to the unit, you are safe to go and use it for cooking...

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

I am sorry the cook top light still does not work

That problem would take out the relay board for the microwave. When it shorted out, do you have the complete model number of the microwave?

Sorry for the delay...Model #WMH2175XVB-1

f you want to fix the cooktop light, then you will need to replace the control behind the touchpad, you can click on the blue link to order it,

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Is this the only solution?

Yes, very common with people trying to replace lights without turning off the power to them, very sensitive electronics on these models, they don't like shorts in them at all, but at least the rest is still working on it, but alas no lights now... SighCry

This is the second microwave that this has happened to...I figure that is what the problem was but did not want to spend $150.00 on a part that will not fix the problem...simple to install?

It should be 2 or 3 screws to remove the grill on top, then you will see one screw on top of the touch pad once you remove the grille, the touch pad will come forward and the wires can be disconnected, then you can swap out the control panel. Takes me about 20 minutes from start to finish. Remember in the future to unplug it before changing the bulb...

Thanks for your help...

No Problem, please remember to rate my service to you today, so I may be credited....

Have a great day

Chas
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Chas
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician