Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We have a 5 yr-old Kenmore Elite side-by-side refrigerator,

& the icemaker quit working...
We have a 5 yr-old Kenmore Elite side-by-side refrigerator, & the icemaker quit working after we'd been on vacation . The house was kept around 50-55 degrees while we were gone. It worked before we left - and hasn't worked since. We still get water through the door, but never any ice is made. The little red sensor light is blinking off & on as it should.

What to do???
6/22/2013
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams. Please space the numbers out 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 like that or it will not show on my end.

If you press the lever to the left and keeping your arms low will the light then turn solid?

Thanks,
Barry

Model # XXXXX: 1 0 6. 5 8 1 7 2 7 0 4

Yes, the red light turned solid when I did that.

That is good, thank you. Are the ejector blades in the ice maker pointing in the direction as the picture below?

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

No - they're facing towards me, not away from me as shown in diagram.

That is the way they should be pointing and just a little bit above level. Toward the freezer door.

If they are that is home position for the ice maker. That means it did stop where it should be stopped and this also indicates the ice maker is okay as well.

The water fill tube may be clogged. You can seperate that connector water line connector by following the water line down the back of the outside freezer wall to the water inlet valve, to verify that its actually clogged you can blow through it. Or you can remove the ice maker and put something into the black tube that fills the ice maker, if its clogged it will be very near the ice maker and it will be ice. You can warm that tube but be careful to not overheat anything in there with a hair dryer, be very careful. That should get the ice out and then it should start making ice again once the ice maker is cold.

You can follow the instruction sheet below to get the ice maker out. That should take care of it. If it happens you do not find a clog or if you do and it clogs with ice again soon you will need to replace the water inlet valve.

The water valve is a dual valve in one body, one side is for the dispenser and the other side is for the ice maker. If you follow the water line from your home to the first part on the refrigerator where that water line connects, that blue part there is the water valve.

To replace it UNPLUG THE UNIT. Turn off the water, remove the screws holding it on and pull it out where you can work with it. If you look where the plastic lines go into the valve you will see a white or yellow ring. Press that down in toward the valve while pressing the line in at the same time. Then pull the line out while holding the ring down. Simply push the line in the new valve and give it a light tug to be sure its seated.

Once you get all the water lines changed pull a wire connector off the old valve and push it on the new. Do that one at a time so you do not get them mixed up. Thats it. Plug up the unit and turn everything on and it will all start automatically. W10408180 is the factory part number if you would like to shop locally.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

We removed the icemaker, and found the black tube had an ice clog in it.

We removed it with a hair dryer & have reconnected everything. Hopefully we'll start getting ice in the next few hours.

Thanks for your help!!

You are very welcome. Thank you for the opportunity, it is greatly appreciated. You and your family have a nice rest of the weekend.

Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician

The icemaker is working just fine now - thanks so much! But we can't get any ice through the door - not cubes or crushed. Any suggestions??

Hey there, what does it do? Are there any sounds?

Barry

There are NO sounds at all!

No sounds at all.

Sorry Jeanine I was working. Open the freezer door and hold the door light switch by hand. Does the dispenser work when you do that?

Thanks,
Barry

No - still nothing happens.

I'm on my way to a funeral, so probably won't be able to answer anything after 5 more min.

take your time I'll be here four more hours today.

OK. If you have any other questions/suggestions, I'll see them when I get back.

Okay, this is the time I get in the evening unless I work late. That way you will know when to expect me. If I can think of anything else I will post it. I am wondering if the door is hitting the switch deep enough. Its a double switch.

Barry

How would I test that?

Try holding the light switch by hand while pressing the dispenser for ice.

I tried that already, & got no noise or response of any kind.

Download the sheet below and test the motor for power. Someone will need a meter to do that with. There are several other parts it could be but the motor is the place to start. The full instructions to do that are in the sheet.

CLICK HERE FOR SHEET

Thanks,
Barry

Will give this to my husband & see if he's willing/able to try this.

Thanks so much for your help!

You are welcome, and I am very sorry for the delay's this week. They switched my hours to days. Now they are switching them again today back to nights. There really is nothing I can do about it but try to adjust. Have a good day.

Barry
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician