John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Whirlpool gold refrigerator model GI5SVAXVL00. The ice maker

Customer Question

Whirlpool gold refrigerator model GI5SVAXVL00. The ice maker is built into the refrigerator and the hooks that hold the pin to hold the ice tray are broken. Whirlpool says I have to buy a new refrigerator because it is all one piece. any ideas on how to fix this so I can keep my ice tray in place?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
can you click this link and look at the diagrams and tell me exactly what your talking about ? http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Whirlpool-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-GI5SVAXVL00/1198/0161000?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=GI5SVAXVL00 I'm not sure what part your talking about
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok doesnt have a part number it is the liner inside the icemaker area. if you look at the first diagram where the icemaker goes you can see two little hooks that stick out. those are whats broken.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
in that area ? do they go into the side of the case ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes!!!! they are part of what looks like a liner for that whole area.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay , This is the worst design they have ever come out with, it is part of the whole liner and you cant replace the liner so they weren't lying. how old is this ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

just a couple of years. the warrenty is up. i just need a easy fix that will last.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
I understand. an easy fix is not in the cards, Did the whole assembly drop down ?