Phil
Phil, Shop owner
Experience:  Degree, Mech. engr. shop owner. 51 years experience
23932409

We have a Vintage Keeper 500 bottle wine cellar. We recently

We have a Vintage Keeper 500 bottle wine cellar. We recently disassembled and reassembled it to move to a new house. In the previous house it was in an unfinished basement with no central air but had no problem maintaining a temperature of 55 degrees. Since we moved, its now in a finished basement with central air, but it struggles to maintain a temperature of 65-70 degrees and is constantly running. When we reassembled it, there were no missing or extra parts. Suggestions of things to check?
Welcome to Just Answer!!

As we go along just keep pressing the 'continue' button until we succeed. There are no time limits here.

The first thing to check is the door seal... Do that by cutting one inch wide strips of paper and closing the door on them.. if any pull out easily or are not held in place when the door closes... you have an air leak at that spot.

Next, buy a cheap thermometer that reads in the 0 to 100F range and take the box temperature. Then put the same thermometer in front of the cold air discharge.

The cold air discharge should read at least 15 degrees colder than the box temperature.

Tell me what you discover. We keep going as long as you keep rating my assistance positively. There are no time limits. After we discover the cause, we can discuss solutions.

Phil
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great suggestions - we will try these over the next couple of days.

Good plan, I will look forward to hearing from you.

Phil
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi - sorry this has taken forever but I think we are at least down to making a final determination.

There was an issue with the seal around the door so we fixed that fairly well. But it also appears that the unit is not blowing cold air either. Is that something that can be fixed by doing something like recharging (like a car A/C) or does it mean we need a new cooling unit?

Thanks for your help!

Hello again, the lack of the refrigeration effect is something a trained commercial refrigeration man has to asses and repair.

If it is out of refrigerant, the leak has to be found and repaired, then the system needs to be evacuated with a vacuum pump and recharged with a precise amount of refrigerant (generally less than 2 pounds, at a cost of $25 to $30 a pound).

If you can tell me which direction you are in from the center of the nearest city or town I can locate a list of commercial refrigeration repair shops for you, some with good references hopefully.

I can stay with you on this and keep the question open if you will take the trouble to rate my services so far positively.

Thanks!

Phil
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Appreciate your help. We are in Washington DC 20009. Any recommendations you have for a local service provider are appreciated.