Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

refridgerator defrost doesnt work

refridgerator defrost doesnt work   whirlpool refrigerator...

refridgerator defrost doesnt work

whirlpool refrigerator gx2shbxvb03

6/15/2013
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician

Hello Ron my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

I am sorry for the delay, I had to make sure I had a sheet for your model. Have you tried a forced defrost to see if the heater would come on?

Thanks,
Barry

Barry,

I don't know how to force a defrost.

I just plugged the fridge back in , waited for the coils to frost up and waited for 15 min. watching the wet spots on the element hoping they would dry up when the element fired up

Barry,

I don't know how to force the defrost?

That is okay I can help you do that, are the coils all frosty now?

Barry

yes

sorry for the repetion. The website is acting up

Yes Frosty

I understand, so sorry about that.

Good, there is a sheet, download that just below. Follow that and run the short S defrost cycle. You will see that on the sheet. Let it run for about 5 minutes, be sure to only open the freezer door and check the heater. Be careful Ron, don't touch it because it is very very hot if it is on. Let me know if the heater comes on or not.

CLICK HERE FOR SHEET.

Take your time, there is no rush.
Barry

this unit is a french door style with 2 door light switches. Guess I close both

Yes this is for your model, follow the steps and see if it will program or not. That will tell me what to do next.

Thanks,
Barry

Program worked. I actually have the freezer all back together. That being said if the defrost was working I would have heard the water drops sizzling on the element. (I've had the same problem on a previous fridge with a spring coil in a glass tube element) Easy to see the break there!

I agree, those glass tubes are a bit different.

Ron when you first noticed the frost was it isolated to the rear wall only or was there frost all over the freezer food as well?

Barry

There was a little frost on the back wall. None on the food. The problem became apparent when the fridge section was getting warm.

The coils were full of frost with a good ice block on the lines leading into the coils

But the heater did come on so the heater is good, am I understanding correctly?

Thanks,
Barry

Yes the heater seems to be good.

HOw often is it supposed to kick in?

Man,

I gotta say this is an awesome service. I was a little skeptical. But I thought hey 30 bucks give it a try.

We do the very best we can Ron. And thank you for the opportunity.

What you will need to do is replace that control. It will let you force a defrost but it is not timing and going into defrost. That control where you programmed from is bad. Its going to cool okay for 10 to 14 days and then it will need defrosting again. Below is the sheet I think will help you change that board. It is the board there that shows the digits. I have it linked below for you. That will take care of the problem.

CLICK HERE FOR THE SHEET

CLICK HERE FOR THE PART

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating so that I am compensated. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link

Thanks,
Barry
I am sorry I missed one question. The board calculates the door openings and closings, the amount of run time the compressor runs and figures when to defrost and how long. That is what is wrong with it. It is not calculating.

Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician