Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

SWE -- I hope you can help me w a Viking Downdraft Model

SWE -- I hope you can...
SWE --

I hope you can help me w a Viking Downdraft Model VIPR-182RS.

I've just replaced the control board/circuit board and the remote switch.

However, when I press the Up switch, the unit raises up about 3 inches and then the motor stops and the unit slides back down. If I press the Up button twice, it will come up about 6 inches and then slide down. If I press the button 3 times, it come all the way up and then slides down.

Is there someway to adjust this so that it raises and stays up?

With thanks,

JDaggitt
6/11/2013
SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. The motor shaft has a brake that should prevent it from falling and it sounds like that has failed. If you remove the motor you should see a plastic part (circular with a small hook near the base of the shaft, which is the brake. However a failed brake would not slow the rise. Additionally you may want to ohm out the motor itself about (75k I believe ) or verify that you have a full 120v to the motor as you may have a poor connection. If the ohm is off or the 120v is good then you will need to replace the motor. Whether you have a failed brake or motor winding either way it only comes as one assembly. I would verify the voltage as the best way to eliminate the wiring and verify that the board is in right. Let me know what you find, I'll look up the motor part number right now....

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

PS200014 is the part number for the motor assembly and it should retail for around 180$

Customer:

Can I see the brake without removing the motor? Getting this unit into and out of the cabinet is a bear because of the way the cabinets surround the unit. I have to have all the wires hooked up before it is lowered in.

Customer:

Do you happen to have a diagram of the motor/brake assembly that you could send me?

SubZero_Wolf Expert

Are you there??

Subzero Wolf Expert:

I'm hoping you can answer my follow up questions from yesterday:

Customer :

Customer :

So, I got a very quick reply to my first query and that was great.

However, my follow up question has now gone for 2 days without an answer.

I'm I doing something wrong or am I limited to one question??

This is a follow up question to a question I asked earlier this week regarding a problem on a Viking downdraft.

Question:
Can I see the brake without removing the motor? Would I be able to adjust the brake while the unit is installed? Getting this unit into and out of the cabinet is a bear because of the way the cabinets surround the unit. It takes three people to lift the unit out.

Question:

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Optional Information:
Brand: Viking
Model Number: VIPR

SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert