Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We have a GE Monogram built in refrigerator. Every few months

We have a GE Monogram...
We have a GE Monogram built in refrigerator. Every few months the fan gets iced in and the refrigerator has to be emptied and defrosted. This lasts for a few months and it happens again. I have had a repair service out and they say we are leaving the doors open too long. However, the refrigerator gets normal family use, and this cannot be the answer. Why is the fan icing up, and can it be repaired?
6/9/2013
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Does the evaporator get iced up as well or does it look like water has been dripping down onto the fan icing it up?
Other than the loud noise the fan blade makes against the ice, there is no viewable evidence of icing.
You may have an icing evaporator or a drain line that is blocked up and icing over, When that happens water will ice over and start to freeze until it hits the fan. You would need to take off the panels to get at the evaporator and drain pan under it to really see which is happening, but it will be one of the two.
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician