Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hi Barry. I have a whirlpool refrigerator and the icemaker

Hi Barry. I have...
Hi Barry. I have a whirlpool refrigerator and the icemaker is not working. It is model GSF26C5EXY00. The refrigerator is dispensing water. i suspect it has something to do with one of the sensors but don't know. Can you help?
6/4/2013
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hi I was outside, a friend called and let me know you were here. Give me a minute to look up your model.

Thanks,
Barry

George open the freezer and look to the right. That light pictured below should be blinking 2 times and then a pause and repeat. The one that is labeled status LED.

graphic

Then if you push the lever on the left keeping your hand and arm low the light should turn solid. Is that happening?

CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
graphic

Barry it doesn't look like the image you showed. Once I remove the ice bin, on the left is a small white door that moves to the open position. If I close it, the light does not blink and on the left side there is a module that contains an on/off switch and a light and that is not on either.

No red light at all? Blinking or not there is not a light?

No light at all on either the module on the left or looking through the small door on the right when it closed.

It is bad George, it has to blink. That is the indicator, it says I am ok or I am broke. Its broke.

Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician

Barry the blinking red light is suppose to be visible with the naked eye? It's not an infrared light? Also should the light blink regardless of whether the little door covering the light is open or closed? And do I have to close the main freeze door switch to see the light?

Yes sir, you can see it red. Not IR but red that we can see with our eyes. Yes open or closed, you should see it.

Barry

Hi Barry. I replaced the emitter. Here's my symptoms now:

If I unplug the fridge for 5 seconds and then plug it in again then I see a steady red light on the LED at the receiver. A short time later I hear the ice maker motor come on for a short time. Within minutes the LED turns off and I can't make it come back on unless I unplug the fridge again. And no ice made. I never get a pulsing light on the LED. Only steady or out depending on whether I had unplugged the fridge or not. Thoughts?

Hello George, that board that is not blinking is bad.
Barry

Barry after receiving the email this morning about follow up question I assumed that was part of the original question I asked and wasn't getting charged for it. Is that not true?

You are correct, you are not charged. Does it appear that you have been??

Only because I'm being asked to rate your answer (again). Which I want to give you a great rating but just based on that request makes me think I'm being charged again.

Followup questions are fine, leave no rating. And I think you are right on about rating.

Please ask.
Barry
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician