Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

Our dryer stopped drying things, so we replaced the heating

Our dryer stopped drying things, so we replaced the heating element. After we did this we turned on the dryer and after a minute or two I opened it to see if it was heating, it was. When we started it again, the breaker tripped. We noticed the plug looked a little burned. We replaced the outlet and the breaker still tripped. Today, we replaced the breaker and it is still tripping. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

tom goellner :

Put your dryer on a "no heat " setting ( it may say air fluff ) this will take the heat element out of circuit. See if it will run with out tripping the breaker.

Customer:

okay, i'm getting my husband to do that right now. Give me just a minute.

Customer:

Okay, still tripping.

tom goellner :

OK

tom goellner :

The two wires that go to the heating element - remove them and either tape the bare ends or just make sure they are not hitting each other or any thing metal and then try the test again ( be sure either breaker is off or un plugged when doing this.

Customer:

Okay, give me a minute. I really appreciate this, by the way.

Customer:

My husband says that there is more than two attached to the element. Which two would it be?

tom goellner :

More than two ??? Hang on a minute.

Customer:

Orange and black at the top

Customer:

yellow and black at the bottom

tom goellner :

Go to www.repairclinic.com and look at part numberNNN-NN-NNNNwhich is your heating element . There are two wires to the heating element - on the picture it will show two connectors sticking out at about the two o'clock position - that's the heat element terminals . the other wires are to a high limit thermostat . If you reversed these wires when installing that would definitely trip the breaker. But remove the two at the two o'clock position and then see if breaker trips.

Customer:

okay, it will be a few minutes, but we'll try this.

tom goellner :

the drum shaft on this dryer ( unlike every one else ) is a ball that fits into a socket which requires lifting the drum up about an inch to remove and replace and it is easy to hit and damage the heat element when doing so ( every appliance tech has done this at least once ) if the element is smashed against the metal housing - there's the problem.

Customer:

oh shoot, that doesn't sound good :(

Customer:

Tom, my husband had to go run an errand, so we'll have to try this a little later. thanks for your help with the trouble shooting though.

Customer:

How long can we keep chats open?

tom goellner :

I think I'd remove the drum and look at the element , like I said it's easily smashed when putting the drum back in ( never liked this design ) I also have to go for dinner . I'll check back later. When you get back it'll show up on my end.

tom goellner :

What's your name and where do you live ?

Customer:

Thanks sooooo much.

Customer:

Christi Johnson

Customer:

St. Francisville, La

tom goellner :

I('m near St. Louis and we're getting pounded with rain and thunderstorms again - all ready lost power once today.

Customer:

Okay, stay dry. I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can.

tom goellner :

Be gone about 1 hour , Christi