Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

is there a drip tray on bottom freezer model ABC2037DES? How

is there a drip tray...
is there a drip tray on bottom freezer model ABC2037DES? How do I access it to remove water?
5/27/2013
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

I have arrowed it in the image below, it is at the rear and wraps around the compressor over behind the fan. I don't believe you can remove that pan on your model without removing the fan motor assembly and mounting bracket. The easiest way to find it is to look up above the compressor for the tube that comes through the floor. That tube will lead right to it. The easiest way to get the water out is with a wet vac and a smaller flexible tube taped to the end.

Do you know where the water is coming from? Is there more than just the defrost water that you know about?
Thanks,
Barry

Do I have to remove access panels from back of Fridge to get at this drip pan with wet vac? IF so, what access panels do I remove?

All the screws from the lower rear that holds that cover on David. Really you should not have excess water in that pan. It evaporates faster than it fills by far. Where are you seeing water?

Barry

the problem is that the upper fridge unit stops cooling. Previously We have used a hair dryer on lower freezer vent in rear to melt ice. I am trying to figure out to remove the resulting water from drip tray, but you say it will evaporate. Sounds right because we do not see any water on floor and if it was full it would leak on floor. What do you think is the root cause of this problem?

David is the ice you are seeing clear like water ice or white and frosty looking?

Barry

it is white and frosty

Give me a few minutes to upload a file for you to run a test. Is that wall cold now?

Barry

no, the wall is not cold now. we have taken everything out of freezer so we could melt the ice

Save this page to your favorites, turn the refrigerator on if you think it has all defrosted and let it run for about 2 hours. Save this page to your favorites and let me know the freezer section rear wall is cold and we will go through the test. I will be here and will see as soon as you post.

Thanks,
Barry

ok, WE should leave all the food out, start the freezer and then respond back to you in two hours (12:30 PSDT), right?

Yes or anytime after that, that rear wall needs to be good and cold, there is a thermostat in there that will not set unless it is cold and the test will not work.

Thanks,
Barry

ok - will get back to you in a couple of hours - thanks!

Great, see you then.
Barry

Hi Barry,

ready for test - freezer wall is cold - Is there anyway I can talk to you on phone?

Hi David I am sorry, we are just not allowed to communicate anywhere but here. It is being worked on but not ready yet.

Click the file below, scroll down halfway and read the instructions for testing. Run the S test. After you close the doors (you will see it in the instruction) wait 5 minutes and open the freezer door. Listen very close to the rear of the freezer inside. Can you hear a hiss or a pop every now and then like water dripping on something hot?

CLICK HERE FOR FILE.

Barry

I tried the instructions, the refrigerator control goes into "d" mode after I press the "\/" control three time. then when I press "\/" to confirm, it goes back to "5". Not really helpful

When you get 5 is the freezer side blank and the refrigerator off?

yes

Thats it close the doors and wait 5 minutes. We are waiting for the heater to get hot and your listening for water to drip on it.

Barry

hi Barry,

I heard water drop on heater one time that produced a slight sizzle. But just once. It seems to be making "normal" noise of operation now

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a short cycle and your refrigerator will restart automatically. That control where you change the temperatures is the main control board for that refrigerator. It is not stopping to defrost the refrigerator. Every 6 to 8 hours the cooling cycle should turn off and the defrost cycle will start and defrost the cold coils in the freezer. That is not happening, replacing that board will take care of the problem.

12868513 is the factory part number you need to shop with and I have put one online link below for you.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/12784415/1541423?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=12868513?RCAID=1000064

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks
Barry
graphic
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician

BTW - THANKS!!!

You are very welcome David, you and your family have a nice rest of the holiday and thank you for the opportunity. If it happens you need me later on give me a shout right here. Its free for 30 days for the same problem.

Take care,
Barry
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician