Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a GE side by side model #GSS201BPJWW. Refrigerator

I have a GE side by side model #GSS201BPJWW. Refrigerator will not shut off and temp keeps rising. Originally thought defrost was not working but now thinking it is icing up due to the fact it does not realize it should shut off. Temps were obtained originally but refrig just kept running. Kind of a chicken and egg scenario.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

When you defrosted were the coils clogged with frost and did you put the cover back up?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not take any covers off the inside of the freezer. I pulled the back plate off the refrigerator and cleaned the condenser coils or squirrel cage.

Thanks Ed, First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere in the lower rear? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is iced up on rear wall. Fan does seem to be blowing air. We do hear a noise periodically and the compressor is not hot.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX get it going if you remove that lower rear wall and defrost those coils behind it with a hair dryer, again that will last about a week.

There is a smaller panel on the rear outside wall, if you can catch it, is the noise coming from behind that panel? Also does anyone there have a meter to test with?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

does the panel just pull out? We can not seem to get to where the noise is as of yet before it stops. The freezer did get to -10 but the unit still kept running at a certain point. That is why I wondered if it frosted up because it did not shut off.

There are about 5 hex head screws under the frost, it kept running because it frosted and the airflow stopped going to the fresh food section. The frost blocks the airflow to that side first. That is when it will keep running.

Also when you can let me know if you have access to a meter.
Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I don't. I probably could get one but not today. I did replace the heater element a couple of years ago but do not remember where it was and how I did it. Would the problem be that or the thermoster?

That is very possible Ed, let me get the test for you typed out so you will know what to do when you do get a meter. If you do not see the coils frosted from top to bottom let me know, much lighter frost on the bottom or top, I forget which but all good and cold.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the hex screws you speak of are two at the top of the fan assembly? I do not se any other screws in freezer

You may need to remove the fan cover on your model, the panel below that is the one you want out.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

completely froze up

I understand, thank you.

In the freezer attached to the cold coils at the very bottom is the heater, it is held on by 2 screws. Be careful the heater is a glass tube. Take it out and disconnect the wires. Set a meter to any ohm setting and put one lead to each end of the heater.

A reading is good, if its broken you will not get a reading at all, the meter will not change. The part number is WR51X10101 for the heater. Again that is the factory part number and you can shop with that. One place is ONLINE HERE.

If it turns out the heater is good then replace the thermistor. I have the part and instructions linked below.
CLICK HERE FOR THERMISTOR.

CLICK HERE FOR THERMISTOR INSTRUCTIONS.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You Barry

You are welcome Ed, thank you for the opportunity. You and your family have a very nice rest of the weekend and please return the next time you have an appliance question.

Barry