Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a ge pfss5njwa refrigerator - I defrosted the bottom

freezer today as I was...
I have a ge pfss5njwa refrigerator - I defrosted the bottom freezer today as I was told to do when the drawer became hard to close. Now its not cooling. It was fine before today. What should I do?
5/20/2013
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

How long did you defrost it and was there frost all over the freezer food before you started like it snowed inside?

Thanks,
Barry
I left the fridge off for about 3 hours, and there was no frost on anything.
That is odd, lets start here. Please take your time and make the checks below.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well? If you hear nothing at all operating just do nothing and let me know.

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
the compressor does not appear to be running
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a few minutes, I need to look at the diagrams.

Barry
kk
You need to replace the main control board. That is what kicks the fans on and the compressor at the same time. Most of these board come with a wire, but not all. You must replace that wire just trace it down to the box beside the compressor and it connects in that box. There will also be an instruction sheet, if you get the wire there will be a phrase in the instructions that says replace the "main source board" do not let that confuse you, that is code for replace the wire. I have arrowed the area of the main board in the diagram below. Its under a metal cover about 2 feet from the floor on the right rear of the refrigerator.

The new board part number you will need is WR55X10956 you can find that usually at Sears if they have an appliance repair section in their store or any appliance repair shop. You can also use that number online to shop with. Be sure to disconnect the power from the refrigerator before changing it and allow 40 minutes for the refrigerator to start running after you turn it on.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician

I had Sears out and they determined it was the inverter box, which took a week to get in and replace.

Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician