Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a GE profile refrigerator freezer. Bought it in approximately

I have a GE profile refrigerator freezer. Bought it in approximately 2009. The unit suddenly is not producing any cold. I have melted visible ice in the freezer compartment. Door controls work fine and I have set the temperatures to proper temperatures. But I don't hear the unit working.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

How long has the refrigerator not been making sounds like it was operating? Where was the frost that you melted, was it located on the rear inside wall of the freezer?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Approximately 1 - 2 hours.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. The frost was on the rear inside wall of the freezer.

Thank you Scott, do you have a volt meter or a test light?

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No.

You need to get one, do you have a friend, neighbor, anyone you know that has one? And it does not need to be an expensive one. I believe you have more than one problem and the only way to be accurate is to test.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I could go out and buy one, but it would take me about 15 minutes. Is there anything I could try to reset the machine?

Yes you could unplug it for about 5 minutes then plug it back in an see if the software will reset in the control board.

I do not mind waiting at all, its no problem. I am here for at least 3 hours more. Save this page to your favorites so you can get back easily. I will know when you have replied. Remember cheap is good, there is no need for an expensive meter for testing appliances.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I will go and get the volt meter. In the meantime will unplug the unit, then plug it back in in 15 minutes.

You are very welcome, if it starts then it will be narrowed to 2 parts instead of 3 and a test will still be needed. I have pictures with arrows, it will not be difficult.

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just unplugged it for 5 minutes, then plugged it in again. Now works fine! Thank you very much.

Your welcome Scott. there is still a problem with the defrost would you like to check that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is that easy to do? How would I do it?

Was there frost everywhere in the freezer or just on the rear wall?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just on the rear wall.

Did you remove the rear wall to defrost the coils behind it? Or did you have it off for several hours to let it melt out?

Barry

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was off for about 3 hours total. I do not have the skill set to remove the rear wall. Also, 9:15 pm here, so I think I will accept that the machine is now working.

Thanks for your help.

- Scott

Okay I understand Scott, look if you end up calling someone over the freezer not defrosting the problem will either be the defrost heater or the defrost sensor. Both are relatively inexpensive parts. Also if the fresh food section does not cool enough let it melt out longer. 3 hours is kind of short so it may not. Let it melt longer and you will get about 10 days out of it if it happens that you need to.

Please ask if you have any questions, if not please leave a rating for me.

Thank you for the opportunity,
Barry