Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hi- I own a whirlpool top-loading washer, model # XXXXX

Customer Question
and it won't fill with...
Hi- I own a whirlpool top-loading washer, model # XXXXX and it won't fill with water. We set it to run, push the button, and there's no reaction. When my wife tried to use it a few days ago, we believe she tried to run it at the same time that we had a lot of water running to water the garden, and perhaps that threw something off. Any advice?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/14/2013
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 4 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician

Hello Jeff my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

What happens if you put it in the spin cycle? Will it spin?

Thanks,
Barry

Yes it will.

Thanks Jeff, do you have a volt meter or something that will test 120 volts ac?

Barry

No, and I'm at work. If it's worth it, I can swing by Home Depot and pick one up and check when I get home tonight.

Get a cheap one, in appliance repair I have never found the use for a meter to be dead on accurate. The cheaper the better. Save this page to your favorites and email it home.

Do you think you may be later than 8pm eastern time?

Barry

Unfortunately yes. I'm in PST, so I'll have to finish this tonight.

Okay what I will do is take a long break sometime this afternoon and return later so I will not miss you.

Thanks,
Barry

Do you have to complete this today? I'd hate for you to have to do that. I don't mind you responding tomorrow. I'll get home around 6:00-6:30 PST.

No we can do it anyday you would like Jeff. I do it all the time, what I do is I will catch another customer and then break, but any day will be fine. Just give me a shout.

Barry

Hi- Sorry for the late hour, took a while to get home and settled. What would you like me to do with the volt meter?

Its no problem Jeff, on your model if you look around where the water supply lines connect, do you see wire connectors there or just the hose connections? Just let me know they are either inside or outside where you can see them.

Please do not try to remove the back if you do not see them.

Thanks,
Barry

No wire connectors on the outside.

Okay unplug the washer. Follow the video below far enough to get the case off only and let me know when you get that far.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO.

Thanks,
Barry

Ok, case is off. sorry, my model didn't match the video's, and so I had to do additional research to figure out how to remove the case.

I understand, I am sorry that was my fault. Make sure your washer is unplugged. At your water valve are 2 wire connectors. Take one off, insert one probe from your meter to each side of the connector. Make sure that the meter is set at or above 120 volts AC. Make sure everything is safe and clear and plug in the washer. Start a cycle just like it would fill. Did the meter change? Try both connectors and be safe please, there is no rush.

Thanks,
Barry

Ok, sorry for the delay. I did not see any change in the volt meter. I tried both sides.

Jeff did your model have a wire connector on the washer that was grey, brown and green?

Barry

The connectors to the water: 1 is clear plastic with two wires, Yellow with a red stripe and blue with a black stripe. The other is red plastic with 3 wires, 2 blue with black stripes (and one of those connects to the other side) and 1 brown with red stripe. Just to clarify, I used the volt meter by touching the two prongs to the medal tongues that the plastic pieces snapped onto when attached.

I'll get a picture and send it to you in the morning. this was to the case of the washer.

Ok. I'll send over a couple of pics to you as well

Good morning! I apologize, I was so worn out last night, I knew I was not going to be much help.

There is a picture below of a connector going into the control panel and connected to the white case, does your machine have that connector?

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK IMAGE.
graphic

Sorry Barry- not sure if it's because I'm at work, but this won't seem to let me upload pictures. Says my server won't allow it. I have a connecter with a white case, with a brown (with purple stripe) and a grey (with black stripe). Also another connecter with two wires, one that is all pink, and one that is half white, half red.

Did you get my last note on the different types of wires?

Appliance Technician: Jon, Appliance Technician replied 4 years ago
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
I am sorry but it looks like Barry has opted out of helping you. This can happen when the expert feels that another expert can better help you.

I can help you if you still need it?

First off, Didi you check to make sure that your water supply was turned on fully? Both the hot and cold sides?

If yes, Then have you turned the water supply off to check the fill hoses and water valve screens? Sometimes they can get clogged with sediment and cause a no fill.

If you checked and no clog then I want to make sure that you checked the water valve correctly. Barry didnt mention that when you removed the washer cabinet to get access to the water valve that you had to first disconnect the lid switch. And if you didn't jump it out or reconnect it again before checking the water valve then you wouldn't get any voltage to the fill valves.

So please be sure that either the lid switch is connected again or jumped out before checking voltage to both sides of the water valve. And if it is jumped out properly or reconnected and you still have no voltage to the water fill valves while timer is set to a new cycle and should be filling, then you need a new timer/ control.

Please get back to me here and I will help you more or further explain this to you. If you understand everything I have said above and feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below with ok service or better rating below this chat. And if you have more questions please feel free to come back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks.

How would I jump out the lid switch? There's no way for me to check the water valve without having the washer cabinet removed.

OK, I re-checked the voltage on the water fill valves with the lid switch attached. Still no voltage. Just to clarify, I inserted the prongs from the volt meter into the miniature holes on the prongs that stuck out from the water connection after I removed the wires connected to them.

On the water- I know water is flowing to them, but I have not removed the hoses. My wife had been doing laundry earlier in the day. I guess it's possible that it suddenly clogged, but it looks like the true concern would be the voltage. Where would I purchase a new timer/control?

Ok. I am glad you clarified the checking voltage procedure. You have done it wrong.
You need to put leads from meter on the terminal ends of the wires to the water valve. If you disconnected the water valves leads and checked the voltage to the water valve by just checking the terminals of the valve you would get no voltage.

Check the voltage to the wires. If you get full 110 volts the timer control is good and valve is bad. Replace the valve. If no voltage then the timer control is bad. Replace the control.

Got full voltage. What valve should I get? Any specs that would help me identify the proper one for my machine?

You need water inlet valve part number w10175893. Should cost about $65

And water flow meter part number w10176591. Should cost about $15

You can get parts by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNN That is a number to a parts warehouse I use daily. They are very reputable and reliable. Call them and tell them the part numbers I listed above and they will send the parts out to you quickly.

Please get back to me if you need any other help or have any other questions.

And please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating.

Thanks.
John - Do you have a helpful video or link I can use to help me install the water inlet valve and the water flow meter? They should arrive today.
sorry for the delay. I can check to see what I can find for you as far as for a video of changing the water inlet valve and flow meter and get back to you here if you still need it?

Actually, below is a good video for showing you how to access and change a very similar water valve on a similar style washer to yours. Yes I know it is not the same exact model washer as yours, but all most all whirlpool washer water valves can be removed this way.

Follow everything in the video until they get to the point where they are removing the wire clamp to the interior fill hose of the water valve. On your water valve you have a flow meter installed. And you will need to remove that first before you remove the interior fill hose. You will see the wire clamp and tension clamp on the hose that goes to the flow meter. remove that first then remove the flow meter then just replace it all in reverse order.

Install the new water valve and hook up the fill hoses and put the cabinet back on and test the machine out.

If you need more help please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Here is the link to the video. Just copy and paste the link to your web browser to open and view the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk4puRv3Vk8

Let me know how you do.

Thanks again.
Replaced both. Still didn't work. I'm sorry, but at this point I'm going to have to call a service, and request a refund as an unsatisfied customer. I appreciate the attempt, but after a full week of effort I'm exactly where I was when we started, except down $90 for parts.
Did you check the voltage to the water valve solenoids at time of fill?

And if you open and close the lid do you hear a clicking sound?

I can still help you if you need and want me too?
I just did. Voltage is fine. There is definitely a click on the lid. I'm willing to continue trying, but by Monday I need to call a repairman. What's next?
Ok. So if you have voltage to the water valve and still no fill and the lid switch is good then you have a bad water valve. And that would need to be replaced. But again make sure that you are checking the water valve correctly and at time of fill. You should have 110 volts ac to the solenoids on the water valve. If you do and th water doesn't come through then you have a bad valve.

If you didn't have voltage before and now after replacing the water valve and flowmeter and now you do have voltage but still no water then you need to check the lid switch or the water supply lines to the washer. Because if you have voltage to valve and we know the valve is good because it was just replaced then that is the only other possibility.

Please check the hoses and valve again and get back to me here. And if you are still unsatisfied with my help please just don't rate me at all. Please don't leave negative rating. Since you haven't accepted anyone's answer yet you were not charged so there will be no refund. Your deposit to get you question listed is different. You would have to contact customer support to get a refund for that. And they wil gladly refund that back to you since you didn't get an answer you liked. If you have any troubles with refunds please get back to me here again and I will help with that.

Run the checks I describe above and get back to me and I will continue helping you.

Thanks.
Hey Jon- You most certainly do not need to worry about a negative rating. You've been very responsive and I appreciate it. You've concerned me now though about payment - I was under the impression that it was automatically $30 for deposit, and that was all. Are you saying that if I 'accept' and answer it will be an additional charge to this?

On the washer- How to I check the lid switch? The water valve was replaced, and there is (and always has been) voltage to it.
No. If you accept there is no other charge. Just the price you set the question at to get it listed on the question page. Sorry if I have confused you at all.

To check the lid switch you need to flip back the main console and access the lid switch. On your model there is two screws in the back of the control that need to be removed. Th you can flip the console towards the back to access the lid switch. You will see the switch on the left side of the console ( facing the machine from front ). Unplug the connection and with your meter put one lead on left side of the switch terminal and the other on right. Then open and close the lid you should have continuity with lid closed and no continuity when the lid is open. That means the switch is good.

Now, please also know that if you washer was spinning previously and is still now spinning the lid switch is mostly likely good. I just told you to,check because you wanted to check everything.

If you have always had full voltage to the water valve and now have replaced the valve and still no water then you either have a bad flowmeter or again, the water supply to the machine is the issue.

Just to make sure I'm doing this right - When I put the lead in to touch the wires (attached to the panel)they always have a charge (naturally). However, I put the lead into the lid switch, touching the left metal prong with one lead and the right metal prong with the other, and no matter how the lid was positioned there was no charge. I did nothing with the middle prong. The prongs were located inside the casing for the lid switch that the wires would plug into.
Ok. Yes you have checked correctly.

You have a bad lid switch. And that is reason why I is not filling with water.

The lid switch needs to be replaced.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

You can order the parts by calling this number.(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Just tell them you model and serial number and that you need the lid switch and they will send one out to you.

Get back to me here if you need help installing it.
What part number is XXXXX?
Lid switch part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Should cost about $30.

Did you call the number I gave you? They will know exactly what to send you. And will do it for the cheapest price.
Jon
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician